Big "Hello" from Birmingham

ExclusiveBBQ

Hello everyone!

My name's Chris, I'm 28 and I'm from Birmingham. I've been a lover of food for some years but only recently discovered what I consider to be the best of American barbecue - Texas-style, low and slow smoked meats like brisket, ribs, pulled pork and sausage. We're lucky that some establishments have attempt to replicate this style of cooking, perhaps with some success, but it's not as well known as I'd like it to be so my mission is to be a good missionary and spread the good word about some of the best food in the world.

I'd love to own a proper offset smoker one day but, for now, have my eye on a Pit Barrel Cookerand hope to be setup and smoking in a few weeks time (when I can afford to buy one, along with some high-quality meat). I do own a basic kettle barbecue and I did manage to smoke some meat on there after cooking it indoors first and then putting it above some smoking wood chips for about 5 minutes - it tasted great and now I want more!

I've recently started my website and am also starting a YouTube channel about my journey as I'd love to start a business around my love of food one day and I think it could be helpful for others to watch what I'm doing as I'm sure that starting a business isn't easy and I think people would like to see where I succeed and where I fail and see all of the mistakes I make along the way. If you're interested, I will add my details to my signature shortly but please feel free to send me a message on here on on my Instagram (where I'm very active).

If you'd like to chat, please send me a message otherwise have a great day!

- Christopher Ross

Hi Chris. Welcome to the group. Don’t forget you can get a low n slow cook out of a kettle bbq with some practice and the right briquettes. I managed a 9-10 hour cook on my Weber Kettle and I could have easily turned that into a 12+ hour cook. 

20 hours ago, Icefever said:

I always think it's not cricket to poach members from another forum,  saying that I was.....m0103.gif

As your in B-Ham you may be interested in coming to the Midland Tailgate weekend, or just for the day. 

Ice.

Just checked it out - it looks local enough so I'll check it out. Not sure I'll be able to do much damage with my kettle BBQ. :D 

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Hi Chris. Welcome to the group. Don’t forget you can get a low n slow cook out of a kettle bbq with some practice and the right briquettes. I managed a 9-10 hour cook on my Weber Kettle and I could have easily turned that into a 12+ hour cook. 

I think I need to take a look at my briquettes in all honesty as they just weren't getting hot enough with the 'snake' method - I do have some hardwood charcoal and have heard that it burns hotter than briquettes so I'll give that a go. Cheers!

2 hours ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Not sure I'll be able to do much damage with my kettle BBQ. :D 

m0121.gif  You'll enjoy it, nothing to worry about, you do a little or as much as you want.  Talk to the other guys & gals and pick up hints & tips.

2 hours ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

I do have some hardwood charcoal and have heard that it burns hotter than briquettes

Good lump will burn hot,  I started off with lump, had a go with briquettes, heat beads, and lastly coco briquettes,  now I seem to be heading back to lump.....it works for me so as the old adage says....if it ain't broke do fix it.

Ice.  m0122.gif