Bringing BBQ parts back from the USA

Tabs

Folks, I'm off to LA to see a buddy of mine in May.

Whilst there I'm planning to pickup a few parts for my Yoder Smoker and bring them back in my hold luggage. One of the parts is a steel heat diffuser with access door, it measures 75cm x 45cm and weighs roughly 7KG:
yoder-smokers-2-piece-diffuser-plate-ys6

https://www.atbbq.com/yoder-smokers-heat-diffuser-access-door.html

I've got a Samsonite Duffle big enough to take it back and it won't bust the 23KG weight limit for the airline we're travelling with.

Question is will they let me out of the county with it, being how we know the US authorities are with security etc.? And I guess the back into the UK too?

Edited by Tabs

Thanks chaps all encouraging views! I'm going to bring back an insulating cover for the Yoder as well and the value of both items is below the threshold for being tugged for tax.

Will keep a copy of the invoice inside the suitcase so if customs (on either side) decide to have a nose, they can at least work out what is. Rather then guessing if it's a part from an armoured tank and I end up with the white glove treatment:D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tabs said:

Thanks chaps all encouraging views! I'm going to bring back an insulating cover for the Yoder as well and the value of both items is below the threshold for being tugged for tax.

Will keep a copy of the invoice inside the suitcase so if customs (on either side) decide to have a nose, they can at least work out what is. Rather then guessing if it's a part from an armoured tank and I end up with the white glove treatment:D

With any luck they might be a smoke head as well 

• 1 month later...

Well that was a breeze! Both the diffuser and cover fit perfectly in my duffle case and there were no signs of it being fingered by security bods. Though I did get stung for an extra 5kg excess luggage charge ($100) it was worth it. KLM don't use a sliding scale charge either and I would have been able to bring a few other bits back. (Had to leave a container of seasoned salt behind) 🙄

Did a couple of BBQ's at my mates place whilst in LA, too. Aside from the astronomical cost of meat, like a fresh chicken costing $13 I found the quality of meat to be excellent. USDA rating needs to be a thing over here.

Roll on next weekend I'm planning to do some cowboy ribeyes and finally get to use the grill grates I've had sitting round for a year!

IMG-20190523-WA0007.jpeg

• Like 3