Hot or cold smoke Chillies?

My father in law is a bee keeper and keen gardener, has started infusing his honey with his home grown chillies, the first attempt was a little hot! 

I want to infuse his honey with smoked chipotle chillies and then turn that into a bbq sauce 

do you hot smoke chillies or cold smoke them? 

Hi James, new on here but I have seen a video for doing this on the tube cant find the link sorry.... slit the ripe red jalapenos then smoke for 4 hours.... low temp preferred then they will need dehydrating... if you live somewhere hot easy, shove em in the sun if not you'll need a dehydrator.... et viola dried chipotles. I'm going to be growing some myself this year now I can get in the greenhouse..... #houserebuildstore i bought a big bag of ground chipotle from Firefly BBQ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info! And welcome to the forum! 

I was hoping smoking may cut out the drying process, as a dehydrator is just 1 more bit of kit added to the never ending list of smoking gadgets haha! 

Do you think they would need to be dried if we were to use them for infusing? 

7 hours ago, James Hocking said:

I was hoping smoking may cut out the drying process, as a dehydrator is just 1 more bit of kit added to the never ending list of smoking gadgets haha! 

It will dry them to a point and I know what you mean about kit🤣🤣

I don't think they would do any harm when infusing as long as they were fully submerged.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James Hocking said:

For chipotle chillies it is best to dry them in the smoker as the smoke plays an important role in the flavour. If you split them they will dry faster - and that is what I do for my smoked chillies. They are best dried/smoked at 60-70 C as this drives off the moisture without roasting the chilly. They can take up to 24 hours (or more) to dry - depending on air flow through the smoker.

If you want to speed the process up then cut each of the chillies in half (leaving in the seeds) and cold smoke them for 4-5 hours as close to 60-70 C as you can using some fairly heavy smoke. Then place them in your kitchen oven to finish drying. You will need to leave the oven door slightly open (just a few millimetres) to allow moisture to escape. This will give the whole house a lovely aroma 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1