Cook 4 all

James Hocking

m0111.gif  m0112.gif  m0112.gif Well done mate...

5 hours ago, James Hocking said:

hope they’re right about this weekend being milder than in the week! 

And me & the wife,  we're moving 4 miles up the road....t112005.gif    Let's keep our fingers crossed for all of us,  do you have a shed/garage you can use for shelter ???

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

If you have lit briquettes already in the Cook 4 All just add about 10 unlit ones on top. Then close bottom vents by 3/4.then see what temperature it even puts at. If it’s below 125’C open slightly, if it’s oven close down a bit. Make a mental note of vent setting, as you can use this as a reference point for further cooks.

• Thanks 1

That is great. They will produce a good steady temperature for many hours without too much tweaking. When using the Callow for smoking you are best to use the Minion method for burning the briquettes

Arrange all of the unlit briquettes in the charcoal basket and then remove about 10 briquettes from the centre. Light these briquettes in a chimney and place back into the centre. You can then place your flavouring wood or pellets (or a combination of both)on top of the unlit briquettes. As the burn travels outwards it will continually produce new smoke.

838162803_ProQMinion.thumb.jpg.4efdc9a95106ba038372d4c0d2ec1f5c.jpg

Here are photos of one started in your model of Callow - at the beginning and after about 4 hours. Ignore the fact that the bottom bowl is not black as these were uncoated factory samples that I was using to test the latest modifications that were being made to the unit before they went into production.

1361125703_CallowMinionStart.thumb.jpg.16258594ad0c8101c3b5b78088bdb7c6.jpg841583789_CallowMinionpartburned.thumb.jpg.4358819a43f815f6250ba4af3e2305ba.jpg

If you need any advice on maintaining the steady temperature then just shout.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the photos Wade I’ll keep those for my next cook!

Temps Currently rising back up sitting between 128/129

ive got all three bottom vents closed 1 lid vent fully open and 1 halfway, 

I don’t have any water in currently, when I do this over the weekend will that help me maintain a temperature? 

Thank you for the photos Wade I’ll keep those for my next cook!

Temps Currently rising back up sitting between 128/129

ive got all three bottom vents closed 1 lid vent fully open and 1 halfway, 

I don’t have any water in currently, when I do this over the weekend will that help me maintain a temperature? 

My igrill only saved the last 2 hours of today’s attempt! So here it is for anyone interested!

0BA809F7-8447-43E7-AE82-AFE78D3D136A.thumb.png.b563ac2b5c04d029278628dd3bf453d8.png

I’ll have time over the weekend to play again and hopefully cook something! 

I do need to go back and tighten the bottom vent covers! Does anyone have advise on keeping them tight? Maybe a different kind of nut and bolt? 

• Like 1

With the weather as it is at the moment that is a very respectable heat profile.

When you site your smoker try to make sure that it is out of the wind and is not in direct sunshine as much as possible. Gusty wind will have a significant and unpredictable effect on the temperature and the sun going in and out behind clouds will have a significant and unpredictable heating effect on the black smoker surface. Rain will also cause the internal temperature to cool unpredictably. You obviously cannot completely guard against changing weather during the cook but the more you can protect your smoker from the elements the less you will have to manually tweak the vents and the smoother the temperature profile will be.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, James Hocking said:

I do need to go back and tighten the bottom vent covers! Does anyone have advise on keeping them tight? Maybe a different kind of nut and bolt? 

I built mine yesterday and I intend to use either blue loctite or high temp Nylock nuts. ( I'll also be adding some washers) 

Hi Martin

The problem of the cover bolts loosening was identified while I was testing the unit and Callow were hoping to get locking washers included. Unfortunately the manufacturers didn't include them when they were made and packaged. As has been mentioned above, small lock washers (available from B&Q and other hardware stores) do the trick. The high temp nylon lock nuts would probably work too.

cheers Wade, 

two other points i'd ask is why can't the charcoal basket have a larger diameter?  and the middle section could do with brace to help it keep its shape.

Seasoning with lumpwood now and hopefully the brickets will arrive tomorrow and I'll give it a should of pork as a starter

Update: Having using  it a couple of times now (and having added Nylock nuts and spring washers) it seems to perform well.  One thing I would say though its very hard to judge/see the position of the bottom vents. I wish the tab that use use to open and close the vents were several inches longer ( ill try to extend them somehow) and maybe use some hi-temp paint to add some sort of sale on the body on the Callow

Edited by martin_b
Update.