Smoking cooked food. is it cold smoking?

Reesyd

Hi all

Doing a corned beef recipe from Scott Rea Project from Youtube. All brined up and cooked, boiled after 10 days or so. At the end, after cooking the briskett he mentions you could do many things with this including smoking.

this has stumped me as all the smoking I've had a stab at so far is hot, e.g. whilst cooking on the kettle.

I take that this would be cold smoking as I think hot smoking would ruin the briskett/ meat and make it tough?

Any advice would be great as I've never done cold smoking of a cooked meat

Cheers Rees

Reesyd hi, 

I've watched this guy's videos,  and they are very good, He does say at 11.55 in the vid that you could smoke it,  I'm no expert on this I'll wait for Smokin or Wade, but my 2 cents would be a cold smoke. I think you're correct to hot smoke would kill it, enjoy your corned beef dude.

<<Please read this before attempting to follow this recipe https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/1212-scott-rea’s-corned-beef/?tab=comments#comment-8629>>

Edited by Wade
Include safety warning

I made Corned Beef @ WoodSmoke 17.

Corned Beef

I used a mash up of two recipes. First stage was the same as Scott’s, but then Hot Smoked it to finish and served hot.

To take it further, it can be made into Pastrami.

There is a discussion about adding the curing Salt to Cold Water and boiling it. I used Cure #1. Some say it comprises  the affect of the curing Salt.

I added mine to cold water and brought to the boil. The Curing Salt did its job, so for me it’s OK as it showed no signs of compromising.

18 hours ago, Reesyd said:

Hi all

Doing a corned beef recipe from Scott Rea Project from Youtube. All brined up and cooked, boiled after 10 days or so. At the end, after cooking the briskett he mentions you could do many things with this including smoking.

this has stumped me as all the smoking I've had a stab at so far is hot, e.g. whilst cooking on the kettle.

I take that this would be cold smoking as I think hot smoking would ruin the briskett/ meat and make it tough?

Any advice would be great as I've never done cold smoking of a cooked meat

Hi Rees You may want to read this https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/1212-scott-rea’s-corned-beef/?tab=comments#comment-8629

The recipe you followed is unlikely to be a health problem with the beef being eaten in moderation, but in future you should adapt the way the cure is used if you decide to follow this recipe again.

Next time I suggest that you adapt the recipe as follows:

• In place of Saltpeter, you are better to use a standard Cure #1 (6.25% Sodium Nitrite).
    For this recipe (2.8 Litres of water with a 2 Kg beef joint) use 9 grams of Cure #1 - which will give you 150 mg/Kg Nitrite
  • Bring the brine water to a boil to dissolve the sugar and salt a then then let it cool right down to room temperature (or below) before adding the curing salts.
  • Reduce the salt levels considerably. The levels he is using will give you 9% salt - though he uses a lot of sugar to try to balance this. Corned beef is often made on the salty side but 9% is rather excessive. I would reduce the salt and sugar by half to 170 g of each

Regarding the smoking. This would be best carried out immediately after the curing process. Remove from the brine and rinse before cold smoke for 24 hours. Wrap in clingfilm and leave in the fridge for 3-4 days before boiling.

Once cooked you would need to treat the brisket as a ready-to-eat food and it would need to be kept refrigerated. You could smoke it at 8 C (or less) for up to 4 hours but it is unlikely that the smoke flavour will have penetrated very far into the meat.