First Smoked Salmon

Dick Bee

Well, having started off with chillies, then cheese, then sausages, I went for it and smoked a side of salmon. Pretty successfully too, tho I say it myself!

Shame the slicing left a lot to be desired, but the thick and scraggy bits are in the fridge for scrambled eggs in the morning, which is actually the only way Mrs Bee will eat smoked salmon. The scraggy bits, that is, that the dog and I didn’t eat!

No waste, the skin was crisped up, and cut up for dog treats!

0C788AD8-20D9-45A6-BCE3-1ED676519704.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used oak dust Justin. I started off with a ProQ smoke generator, but it quickly became apparent it wasn't man enough for the converted garden incinerator smoker! I swapped over to my " tube with holes in " one! Had to refill that a couple of times. I might have to get the bigger ProQ Artisan.

Edited by Dick Bee

Yes, I used the proq maze and leave it for 12 hours, that does the job. I find i really have to get it going at the start to get a a decent output form it otherwise the wisp of smoke is minimal, I happy that is gentle stream of smoke. I do not want smoke pumping out for a chimney of course.  I am going to try the maze out on something next time and of course the tube is better suited for hot  than the maze for hot smoking too.

the  maze full up with dust lasts 16 hours too. so it is easy set and forget option

Choices Choices

Size should not make so much difference, as long as  the lid is on and there is a small exit the smoke will gently fill and steam out?? Slow slow is the answer i think, it certainly picks up as it progresses over the first 20 30 mins.

I use it in the smaller wsm and in a pro q cardboard eco smoker

• Like 1

Good looking salmon Dick :thumb1:

Yes, the ProQ will produce enough smoke for smaller cold smokers but it can be lacking in the larger ones. I would class an incinerator as a relatively small smoker though but it may be in that middle size range where the ProQ smoke  volume is touch and go. I use a large commercial freezer as my cold smoker and the ProQ is not "man" enough for that and I need an AMNPS type generator for things like Salmon. I find the tube smokers can produce too much smoke for some of the more delicate foods but I do use them when I am smoking nuts.

• Like 2