Cold smoking Butter

markie_q

I have a chef friend who I smoked butter for. It is straightforward and is very much like smoking cheese.

The Smoker needs to be kept cool to stop the butter from softening too much - this time of year is ideal, especially in the evenings. It is also a good idea to place a bowl of ice under the cheese to help ensure that the heat fro the smoke generator does not raise the temperature too much.

When smoking place the blocks of butter on wire cake cooling racks.

I initially tried both and unsalted was by far the best. I only smoke unsalted butter now.

Smoke for about 3 hours - just as you would cheese. I use mainly use Hickory but sometimes Oak - but most woods (excluding Mesquite) would be fine.

Once smoked wrap it and leave it in the fridge for a week to let the smoke flavour mellow a little and to diffuse through the butter block.

Smoked butter is not something that you should use for general cooking as the smoke flavour easily gets lost. It is mostly used as a garnish on, say, vegetables or steaks just before they are served. Then you get the lovely smoky aroma as you eat.

Tray of ice

Ice.thumb.jpg.f17ee0820bc0972ddcfdfd419b6ceb59.jpg

First layer of butter

90521888_Butteronrack.thumb.jpg.6b97880b4f600ee0a026273604429115.jpg

Second layer

502891798_ButterinSmoker.thumb.jpg.02ef57d9162aa3832bd8dbef16e8fa15.jpg

Packed and ready

270003382_ButterSmokedandPacked.jpg.18cb938842cd08fd874e4756eacc073d.jpg

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, BryceRodriguez said:

Hey @Slip Digby, listen store the smoked butter in an airtight container or bag in the refrigerator for at least two to three days before using it to allow the smoke flavor to mellow out. Use it within a week or so for best quality as it has a shorter shelf life than regular butter.

I bagged it up and put it in the fridge on Monday. Brilliant, I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for responding, I appreciate it