Chicken breast

Justin

Just making some chicken for lunches. Nothing fancy,  2 slices of lemon,( it is large chicken breast) touch of  rape seed oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic granules, half teaspoon ground pepper. 65 deg c 90 mins (other 3 chicken breast in  the pack vacced with  rapeseed oil, lemon slice  and one with oil, lemon, and sprig of thyme for another time)

20180814_082751.jpg

Edited by Justin
typos

OK Flavorful is lovely lemony chicken, but texture tender though i like it a bit more drier, Griddle for 2 minute and eating hot will help I think.  Am happy with the first result but i might leave in bath for extra hour next time and see what difference it makes.  May also try zip bag rather than vac pack too to see how that changes it.  Maybe a smaller chicken breast will change it a bit too.. all to experiment with

20180814_112803.thumb.jpg.769bf552dfb430499429a9189badc117.jpg

Edited by Justin

Great work Justin. It is so important to experiment as that is how we all learn.

A couple of things I found out early on is not to change too many things in one go as you then never know what it was that had the effect, and also to keep good notes so that you can recreate it again later.

Doing another one at 60 for 2 hours per my sous vide cookbook but  it is confusing because some say 60 some say 3 some say 64...... i have pushed the temperature up to 64 for last 40 mins. I suppose it is easy to push temperature up and extend. Ie can be flexible at any time

TEMPERATURE AND TIMING CHART FOR CHICKEN BREAST

Texture: Very soft and juicy, served hot

Temperature: 140ºF / 60ºC

Timing: 1.5 to 4 hours

Texture: Tender and juicy, served cold (for cold chicken salad)

Temperature: 150F / 66ºC

Timing Range: 1 to 4 hours

Texture: Juicy, tender and slightly stringy, served hot

Temperature: 150F / 66ºC

Texture: Traditional, juicy, firm and slightly stringy, served hot

Temperature: 160F / 71ºC

Edited by Justin
typos
  • Like 1

Just had for lunch after i chilled in ice bath, still juicy and very tender, firmer texture and less bouncy but better for it.  Delicious with a touch of mayonnaise.

Next time a I do chicken I am going to put mayonnaise in the bag, it will mix with the chicken juices and make a lively sauce.  Got three more to go with lemon and thyme so next couple of weeks will be variations.

Sous vide adventures continue.  Dinner on one day this week chicken thighs in curry powder sous vide.  Thank you everyone for your inspiration  It is bring  my cooking skills and adventures back online. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...