Advice Please, 1st try with Beef Short Ribs

Sooty

Hi, I’ve not cooked Beef Short Ribs before - so I’ve got a couple of Q’s…

How much - Weight or number of ribs - should I be getting per (hungry) person?
I’ve seen ribs from ex-dairy cows for sale on-line (Coombe Farm Organic) - are these a good choice?

Any other tips for cooking ribs low & slow welcomed

Many Thanks

• Like 1

Biggest tip I can give you is get enough so I can have any leftovers😂😋👍

I have only cooked them once before and I found 1-2 ribs per person with extras/sides seemed enough for us. I just used salt and black pepper for seasoning and cooked them at 250F for a few hours.

I need to do some more soon, beef short ribs seems to be a little tricky for me to get (which is why I haven't done them more often)

Sorry cant give anymore tips though.

Take some pics if you remember though, would be great to see😁

1 hour ago, AdamG said:

Biggest tip I can give you is get enough so I can have any leftovers😂😋👍

No problem mate 👍 - I’ll add a couple extra to my order & pop a few more beers in the fridge.😜  

1-2 / person was about was what I was thinking - so thanks for confirming that. I’ll take some pics & let you all know how it goes  

• Thanks 1

How did they turn out??

I’ve only done short ribs a handful of times, but I would make a couple of recommendations - firstly, dry brine them for at least 12 hours. Helps break up the fibres and enhances the flavour too.

Secondly, and this is purely based on my own experience and expectations, shorties take waaaaaay longer than you think to cook to pull-apart tender. The good news is that they are so fatty/collageny that it’s pretty hard to overcook them.

Edited by Ken™️
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice guys. My butcher let me down with the short ribs in the end, so they’ll have to wait for another day (soon, I hope!). So plan B - I did a whole shoulder of lamb. I marinated it overnight (olive oil, a couple of cloves of garlic, Harrisa, Ras al Hanout spice & fresh mint), cooked low-&-slow (5hrs + 1hr resting in foil). Served shredded, with pita bread dips & salad - a recipe I’ve cooked before in an oven, but first time on the bbq, with some apple wood chips. Beautiful - sorry, no pics, hungry family devoured it too quickly!

• Like 2