woodsmoke advertisers--discounts ?

andya

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if your post is in jest but on other bbq forums there were discounts to be had as advertisers were sometimes members too! they are advertising to a captive (and committed ) audience who may be repeat purchasers ?or promoters of their products to others ?..........so why not a discount ? if not then all they are accomplishing in my book is allowing me to quickly see what they have available and then go find it elsewhere possibly cheaper !

yes a lot of gear is hard to get in the uk ? but as i've said in other threads i can get  anything from abroad cheaper if i'm willing to wait, the only win the advertisers have is if i feel they deserve my business by supporting these forums and their members ? then i would buy and commit as long as its not rip off prices.

if you dont ask you dont get.

like i've said before-most grills are made in china :)  which means looking hard enough lets you see the mark up thats made (and what wiggle room there is for discounts )

"

You are here: Home / BBQ Smokers / Davy Crockett Pellet Grill Makes for a Tailgating Dream

DAVY CROCKETT PELLET GRILL MAKES FOR A TAILGATING DREAM

By Kevin Sandridge

Davy-Crockett-Review-Header.jpg

Thanks for checking out this Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill review. Fast becoming one of the most well known and respected brands out there – specifically for their top notch customer care – the GMG brand is finding its way into more and more homes in the US, as well as countries as far a field as Australia. Before I go into my review of the Davy Crockett Pellet Grill, allow me to give you some background on Green Mountain Grills.

Davy Crockett Pellet Grill Promo Video from Green Mountain Grills

The following video produced by the folks at Green Mountain Grills does a really nice job of going over how to Davy Crockett Pellet Grill works and its basic features, including power source options and the built-in Wi-Fi capability.

Like I have done with the What Everyone Should Know Before Buying a Pellet Smoker post, I’ve opted to use a corporate video produced by the company itself simply because they do a fine job and I found no inconsistencies between what is reported here and what I’ve found to be true in using the Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker at home myself.

Davy Crockett Pellet Grill At Home and on the Professional BBQ Circuit

As far as direct competition goes, Green Mountain Grills sees Traeger as their main competition – specifically in the retail market. You’ll see in this post the steps GMG takes to ensure high product quality and customer satisfaction. Just know this, the Davy Crockett pellet grill is making waves on the retail home front as well as the competition circuit.  There’s a huge fan base for the Davy Crockett pellet grill on this Facebook group for instance. Additionally, from a competitive standpoint,  Pitmaster Sterling Smith of Loot N’ Booty BBQ won 1st place in Chicken at the 2014 American Royal Invitational with a perfect score of 180 cooking on the GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker.

The Green Mountain Grills Story

The GMG Manufacturing Process

Jason Baker of GMG and I spent a lot of time talking about the subject of manufacturing Green Mountain Pellet grills from the standpoint of offering value priced pellet smokers while keeping quality and customer service a priority. One key component in keeping retail prices for GMGs low involves having components manufactured in China.

From day one, GMGs owner, David Baker, knew that he’d be competing directly against Traeger. The story goes that he and Joe were talking and David told Joe that he’d had a fire in his Traeger pellet grill one night.

So, he then went on to tell Joe of an idea he had to put a safety feature on the grill that when the customer was done cooking, the grill would go into “fan mode” to make sure the fire in the burn pot went out at the end of the cook. Joe then told David that he should go ahead and get into manufacturing pellet grills because he (Joe) was nearing a time when he was going to get out of it and the patent on the then Traeger grills at the time was expiring.

41MMeKfGRsL.jpg

wide-light.gif

So, from that point on, David Baker began tinkering with the Traeger he had in his garage and began noting all the things he didn’t like about it. He didn’t like how the lid was too low, so he used a peaked lid.

He didn’t like how the Traeger couldn’t hold temp very well, so Dave added two variable speed fans. He then added PID technology, where the controller began taking in information from all of the different devices in the grill and putting this information all on informational loops so they were all talking to each other.

So instead of a gram based 70 degrees input kicking in when temperatures needed modification, which is how Traeger was doing it, the PID would use input from all of the other moving parts to modify temp more accurately.

Steel wise, Baker knew he wanted to be sure all the steel was properly gauged. So, for instance with the Daniel Boone and Jim Bowie, you’ve got a 14 gauge body with a 13 gauge lid – resulting in a heavier grill than was offered at the time from Traeger. So, in many ways – David Baker was an innovator. But, he also knew that the only way he was going to be able to put these innovations to use in a pellet grill that could compete price wise against Traeger was to use overseas manufacturing.

Though being manufactured overseas is a negative for some pellet grill purchasers, the fact is that steel is one of the highest price point components involved in bringing GMGs, or any other pellet smoker, to market. As such, the company has chosen to use Chinese manufacturing coupled with very close quality control monitoring processes as a means of making GMGs affordable for as many people as possible.

To this end, Jason travels to the company’s overseas facilities at least once per quarter for about two weeks per trip to make sure end users of the various Green Mountain Grill products remain satisfied and stay on as long term fans.

GMG Pellet Grills Produced in a Company Owned Overseas Factory

One thing I found interesting in talking with Jason is that Green Mountain Grills has an ownership interest in the Chinese factory they use to manufacture all of their grill parts. Unlike Traeger and other companies who use overseas manufacturing for their pellet smokers, this means GMG doesn’t work on a contract basis with their manufacturers.

The GMG factory in China only builds GMG grills, which means there is a lot more oversight capability and a faster modification to marketplace timeline in terms of getting changes to grills implemented and out to end users.

In terms of market share, pellet grill sales are about 2 percent of the BBQ market. Traeger has about 50 percent of the pellet grill market with GMG coming in as the second largest pellet grill manufacturer –  at between 10 and 12 percent. Clearly, Traeger is the 800 lb. Gorilla on the Pellet Grill  block.

Estimates for Louisiana Pellet Grills are about half of what GMG is doing, with Rec Tec doing a bit less per year via a direct to consumer sales model.  All told, Jason believes that the approximate 250,000 to 300,000 pellet grills that are actually made represent maybe one percent of the 15 million barbecues sold in the US last year. Because pellet smokers represent such a small piece of the overall BBQ sales market, Jason feels that the only way they are going to thrive long term is through overseas manufacture and production.

I share these figures with you here to paint a clear picture of where GMG has set its sites. Traeger has a huge leg up on them from a market share standpoint. That said, Green Mountain Grills is intent on growing its piece of the pie. However, in doing so they want to be sure that quality and customer care remain the company’s number one focus.

22 minutes ago, andya said:

Not sure if your post is in jest but on other bbq forums there were discounts to be had as advertisers were sometimes members too! they are advertising to a captive (and committed ) audience who may be repeat purchasers ?or promoters of their products to others ?..........so why not a discount ? if not then all they are accomplishing in my book is allowing me to quickly see what they have available and then go find it elsewhere possibly cheaper !

yes a lot of gear is hard to get in the uk ? but as i've said in other threads i can get  anything from abroad cheaper if i'm willing to wait, the only win the advertisers have is if i feel they deserve my business by supporting these forums and their members ? then i would buy and commit as long as its not rip off prices.

if you dont ask you dont get.

Very much not in jest, I'd love a Davy Crockett, as much as I like the challenge of keeping my temps under control (Wade makes it look very easy but I'm still very much newb!) I would love a set and forget smoker That I didn't need to be keeping so much of an eye on or that I could monitor while out. :)  

In my youth I was a member of a car enthusiasts forum and we enjoy a few nice discounts, twas a good idea.

what about this company who used to manufactur the treager.......anything look familiar     (this was a two minute online search)

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Electirc-pellet-smoker-bbq-grill-with_60386470212.html

dont believe they hype of outstanding American bbq manufacturers producing leading edge equipment........... for the common names-they are all only resellers (middlemen)

you can by anything from 1 piece to as many as you like----buy ten or more even cheaper and sell them here ?  if i ever lose my job there will be another branded bbq equipment company in the uk, thats what aldi just did with the kamado at the end of the day

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That is my fault as I have not been able to get online so much over the past few weeks due to retirement commitments with my wife (i.e holidays). Yes, Nick @NickKfrom The American BBQ Company says that they are happy to give a discount for forum members but they are loathe to give out a general discount code as these very quickly get shared generally online. I can totally understand this. If you are looking to buy something from them call them directly and say that you are a WoodSmoke forum member.

• Like 2