Heat deflector upside down?

JB.1981

Just tried out my new eBay steel heat deflector on a slow and low brisket.  It ended up very dry and blackened on the underside.  I can only assume I've used the heat deflector upside down!?! The cooking grate sat on top of it with no gap at all.

Previously, I had been getting great results with my DIY setup but had comments on here about the dangers of using a Teflon pan on the coals.  Hoping the 1" or so gap between heat deflector and grate that would be created by flipping the deflector next time will make for a better slow and low setup?

EDD546A2-102F-4A5C-8A27-7B666830C4B6.jpeg

Well this is embarrassing! The one I bought has similar pics on eBay where it is shown both ways up.  I take it the higher position would be for setting a pizza stone on top of for more heat?

And with it in the correct position for next time, this small gap between the surface of the steel and the cooking surface is sufficient to ensure a better brisket?

I'd like to do another brisket soon to make up for the last one but now I'm nervous about scorching the underside.  In addition to setting the heat deflector the right way round, are folks using a drip pan on the heat deflector with the cooking grate on top of the drip pan?  if so, water or no?

Kamados don't need a water pan as the airflow is so low inside them (spectacles wearers learn this very quickly!). They retain the humidity released from the meat.

I did try it once and found that the brisket that I was cooking didn't develop any bark...in fact most of the rub ended up absorbing the steam and falling off.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Chairmaker said:

I did try it once and found that the brisket that I was cooking didn't develop any bark...in fact most of the rub ended up absorbing the steam and falling off.

same experience here🤔