Lidl Mini Kamado (2021) On Sale From 22nd April £99.99

sotv

I think it's more the instant light fuel and lighters that may taint the ceramic. But I wouldn't take the chance. The briquettes produce more ash so are more likely to block airflow. I've used Lumpwood from Tesco/B&Q and KJ big block for cooks in it. The best fuel is usually the one you have. 

Have you cooked anything yet?

• Like 1

I'm not a big believer in "tainting" a Kamado. Anything volatile that could be absorbed isn't going to last long the temps that kamados can reach. As far as I'm concerned it's an old wives tale. Maybe if you tried to burn a load of very green wood, or poured old engine oil into it then you might damage the material, but who's going to do that?

I use good quality lumpwood because it burns long, the smoke taste and smell permeates the food (who wants their food to taste naff?) and because it doesn't produce much ash. There's really no need to overthink these things.

Edited by The Chairmaker

7 hours ago, hoogl said:

Have you cooked anything yet?

I've a Joe Jr that I've had for just over a year. Have only had chance to do three low and slow cooks (smallish cuts - 2 pork butt, 1 brisket) due to work constraints but used it a lot more for general grilling. I've just been using generic lumpwood and for one of the low and slows added in some wood chips I bought. Looking forward to being able to put more time into it this summer and start learning the ins and outs properly.

I tried to pick up the Lidl Kamado too but the shipments never reached the local stores near me (even in the later deliveries). Would still like to get one as a back up though so will keep my eyes peeled.

Get some good wood chunks for low'n'slow. Chips burn out too fast for me. Ive boughtg from Grilling Wood off Amazon and they're great value. My new favourite is olive wood though.....it's as hard as iron and produces a lovely long smoke and flavour.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CBMJ3BT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 7:20 PM, P Bodine said:

I've a Joe Jr that I've had for just over a year. Have only had chance to do three low and slow cooks (smallish cuts - 2 pork butt, 1 brisket) due to work constraints but used it a lot more for general grilling. I've just been using generic lumpwood and for one of the low and slows added in some wood chips I bought. Looking forward to being able to put more time into it this summer and start learning the ins and outs properly.

I tried to pick up the Lidl Kamado too but the shipments never reached the local stores near me (even in the later deliveries). Would still like to get one as a back up though so will keep my eyes peeled.

Dalry (North Ayrshire) still have a few available. Not sure of your location but just incase your local. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, Craig1874 said:

Dalry (North Ayrshire) still have a few available. Not sure of your location but just incase your local. 

I live in Central London and seems like there hasn’t been any stock of it either. I guess it’s worth getting on of those to get some practice and then maybe go for Komado Joe or something. ;-)

Loving this little toy! Just got one a week ago at Lidl.  Yesterday smoked a 4kg pork shoulder over 9 hours and it came out beautifully.  Thought the mini may be too small for cuts like this but it did the trick and it was great fun.  Got pulled pork for days now.

37 minutes ago, JB.1981 said:

Yesterday smoked a 4kg pork shoulder over 9 hours and it came out beautifully.  Thought the mini may be too small for cuts like this but it did the trick and it was great fun. 

That sounds good. Could you share a few tips? How much charcoal, any refilling needed, what temp etc? 

20 hours ago, mymuk said:

That sounds good. Could you share a few tips? How much charcoal, any refilling needed, what temp etc? 

No worries!  Just joined the forum yesterday so I could get advice specific to these smaller kamados.

I loaded the bowl about 3/4 full with about half and half charcoal briquettes and lump wood charcoal.  Put one lighter cube in and sprinkled some lighter cube broken bits at the edges.  I lit it and left the lid open until the cube was gone and I saw a few coals with red embers (10 mins max, I'd say).  I have a little homemade heat deflector that raises the grilling surface 4-5".  I'll put up a pic of this later - it was really cheap to make and seems to work well.  I put the shoulder straight on the grate, fat side up, and smoked for about 6 hours, keeping temp on kamado thermometer at about 250f.  This needed a bit of tending: I found it helped to occasionally scrape ash out through the bottom vent, using a hooked piece of metal.   At the 6 hour mark,  internal temp stalled around 160f (a lot of good advice on this stuff from Texans etc. so I use their instructions in Fahrenheit).  Then I wrapped in parchment paper and smoked another 2 hours to 200-205f.  Rested 30 mins and then pulled it apart.  It came out beautifully, very smoky, with a good bit of crackling.

Incredibly this little kamado smoked 9 hours with no need of a re-fuel.  The bowl was probably still 1/3 full when I finished.  In future I'll use all lump wood but I didn't have enough left.  The briquettes do seem to last a very long time.  

That's about it.  My brother has an actual BGE XL so I'm feeling a bit smug about my £100 mini's ability to smoke a 4kg/8.3lb piece of pork!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

How have people got on with the Lidl mini kamado coming up to higher temperatures?  I'm using lumpwood charcoal but maybe I'm being stingy with it (a couple of handfuls) and even with both bottom and top vents fully open (but lid closed) it never gets higher than 150 degrees C.  The coals are nicely glowing red/grey.  Am I just being mean with the charcoal and I need to load it up more?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mackerel said:

How have people got on with the Lidl mini kamado coming up to higher temperatures?  I'm using lumpwood charcoal but maybe I'm being stingy with it (a couple of handfuls) and even with both bottom and top vents fully open (but lid closed) it never gets higher than 150 degrees C.  The coals are nicely glowing red/grey.  Am I just being mean with the charcoal and I need to load it up more?

I have struggled a bit with this too.  I tend to load the bowl pretty full and I'm trying to break up larger bits of lumpwood to ensure good volume overall, without having so many small pieces that it clogs airflow.  I have some trouble getting into the 'grilling' temp range on the thermo and in any case, when I do get into that range, opening the lid to check on or flip food tends to drop the temp dramatically for some period after.

I'm finding this little kamado good fun for low and slow smoking but I think a mini kettle is possible better for typical fare like burgers, sausages, and skewers

I'm able to regularly get mine to 350c for searing steaks. I've done this with crappy Tesco Lump and also KJ Big Block. Also used a mix of fresh and new. 

I find the best way is to place two or three firelighters in the bowl spread out as you want the whole bowl lit up to achieve these temps.  Also having  both vents open max.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm planning on attempting a 1.5kg brisket tomorrow on the mini kamado. Just spent about 3 hour reading trying to figure out how much lumpwood to use. Seems most people reckon I should just fill'er up about 3/4 full but try to keep the temp low. Hopefully I won't end up with  leather 

• 4 months later...