Masterbuilt 140B Smoker.

I've had lots of fun cold smoking in my homemade cabinet smoker, last week I hot smoked the Kielbasa by using a camping gas stove in the bottom of it. It works well, it cooked the Kielbasa but I got to question what I was doing. At the finish of the cook I took the gas stove out and of course it was warm, the cabinet sat at 85/90c the whole cooking time. Now this is where I put my thinking head-on, was I doing right to use this gas stove as I did???..🤔 ..it all looked ok...it hadn't blown the side out the garage....but a little voice whispered "what if it had???".

After some time thinking about it and talking it over with Mrs Icefever, it was agreed that I had permission to start looking for a hot smoker cabinet....so I did....and I have...bought it today a new Masterbuild 140b from Oliver at Prosmoke, delivery tomorrow or Thurs.

https://prosmokebbq.co.uk/collections/masterbuilt-gravity-fed-560-smoker/products/140b-masterbuilt-digital-electric-smoker?variant=39249536745566

We thought about the smaller 130B but it's ok for just the two of us but for family or friends coming around?? no way.
I found that out on Sunday I had the ProQ, & the Weber going,  checking them every so often and swapping the chucks in the ProQ.....so for the extra few bucks it made sense to go for the 140...it's only 10" taller....and what's 10" between friends???

Ice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sotv said:

You going down that equipment rabbit hole again 😄

Not sure Steve 😉...I put it down to evolution..🤣...the more I learn about this hobby, the further I go. The question now is how many smegging bits of kit do we really need????

I can see me thining some of my stuff out sooner than later, just for the space..🤔.

ice.

25 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Not sure Steve 😉...I put it down to evolution..🤣...the more I learn about this hobby, the further I go. The question now is how many smegging bits of kit do we really need????

I can see me thining some of my stuff out sooner than later, just for the space..🤔.

ice.

I know I've bought 12 bags (120kg) of pellets, 4 bags (60kg) of restaurant charcoal and 4 bags of 8kg Weber and 3 of bar-be-quick 15 kg bags briquettes in the last month to get me through the next x amount of months. First time I've cooked throughout the whole year, at least twice a week and minus temps outside, don't bother me or restrict me now.

It's great fun and I can't resist a bargain. Think I'm going to have to buy a shed or one of those keter storage units now for the fuel. Bought an Amazon racking system for all the gadgets and stuff to store them in the spare bedroom, my wife just raises her eyebrows when another delivery arrives now 😄

• Haha 1

I am so pissed.......😡😡....the smoker was delivered on Wed afternoon, I put it in the garage over night with the idea of unboxing on the morrow.

Thur morning I had to pop down the doc's for a blood test to check the uric acid,  up & dressed put my shoes on, bent down to tie them and my back went.  I have a trapped nerve or disc??  not sure which, smegging sure it hurts like fcuk.......new kit in the garage and can't do anything with it. 😭...

Ice.

Finally, I got around to unboxing the beasty this morning, took 30 mins to take all the wrapping off, then 30 mins to fit wheels, handle & control panel.
Now indoors having a cuppa & a slice of cake, then I have to do a 3-hour burn-in...ready for tomorrow's pork.

Size wise it's only a couple of inche's larger than a fridge, I'm glad I settled for this model and not the 130b.

IMG_20210412_100355146.thumb.jpg.4f498f416b5c31217f7fe8675028bea4.jpg

Ice.

In the words of Toyah..."It's a Mystery"......I setup the smoker @ 135c for the burnin.  Now me,  being me,  I thought lets see how correct the onboard temp probe is.

I set my Inkbird with 1 probe lay on the middle shelf,  checked it after 20 mins and the smoker had hit 135c,  the Inkbird said 140c.....I know I'll pop my digi Thermopro in and see what that says. The T-pro was closer at 138c.

Which one is correct???  ahh I know, water boils @100c (sealevel)...took both of them into the kitchen into a rolling boiling water,  they both said 100c spot on, no flicker or waver at all. 😲.

The only thing I can think of is the probes were touching the metal shelf???...back to the drawing board....😡.

Ice.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Had this smoker now since April...used it a number of times and I think now I can speak as I find if I'd known back in April what I know now I would not have bought it.
Yesterday I wanted to cold smoke the last lot of bacon, now cold smoking is no problem with this tool. I've been reading up on the method of smoking bacon where you take the bacon to an IT of 62c.....then cool, slice, freeze.

Trying to keep this smoker at a set temp is impossible, this method calls for the smoker to be set at 82c, then smoked until you hit 62c in the meat. The temp went off like a rocket up to 93c...I opened the door for a minute to drop the temp down...then for an hour I stood by it trying the air vent in all positions and finished up cracking the door open half an inch and using a strip of gaffer tape.

Finished the bacon off after around 6 hours, not sure if it's what we want.....did a lot of searching the web and came up with a load of info & tips...seem these smokers are notorious and Masterbuild don't give a damn.

Anyway, I've found out that with a little DIY and a PID controller I can improve it way better than MB....temp fluctuations will be down to +/_ 2c.....instead of their 30c....PID coming today.

Ice.