Mini keg /growler

Sluggy

Just getting back into brewing after a bit of a break. Just bought myself two 10 ltr mini kegs but only one tap, the other is just a standard cap lid.

Anybody else use these?  
How do you get over the problem of swapping tap? Second keg primed ready or force carb? What about the bad air in the keg headspace while in storage. 
I don’t want fizzy beer as I much prefer low carbonated beer. 

Obviously the best solution would be to buy another tap assembly, but is it required.

Used to use Corni kegs and large gas bottle which you had to gas up to seal but dunno about these.

Thinking of filling keg with gas before filling with beer to remove oxygen as co2 is heavier.. would that work?? 
Cheers 

7 hours ago, Sluggy said:

Thinking of filling keg with gas before filling with beer to remove oxygen as co2 is heavier.. would that work?? 

Yes it does....what are these 10 lts your using??  I've got 2 cornis left from the 8 I had at one time...10 litres would suit me better.

Ice.

Yes. Pressurise then vent a little to let thre oxygen out then you are good to do  pressure transfer from your fermenter. I do same with my firmzilla though most recently I used counter pressure tap to bottle straight from the fermzilla. I once drank straight from the firmzilla too using it as a unitank. Was delicious.

1 hour ago, Icefever said:

Yes it does....what are these 10 lts your using??  I've got 2 cornis left from the 8 I had at one time...10 litres would suit me better.

Ice.

https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/product/20l-mini-beer-growler-keg-co2-dispenser/

Others are available but these are what I bought 

Thanks muchly chaps, I’ll see how the first brew goes using your advice, can always spring for alternative tops but don’t really wanna deviate from the tap I have already.

Edited by Sluggy
Additional info

i am prepping ro water for my brews too and treating that to match the profile I want. Essex water is so hard and chlorine levels are high so putting it through 3 stage ro process really brings a lot to the brew clarity and flavour

Edited by Justin

I tend to stick with dechlorinated tap water by either leaving it for 24hours or a quarter of a campden tablet.. Used to mess about with CRS or pre boil the carbonates out of it but found That if was after any particular style of beer I was better off using bottled water or RO from the aquatic shop if I wanted to really go over the top.

Never seemed to make a huge difference.

I’m Anglian Water which is pretty hard, which pretty much suits me as I don’t make light beers or lager.
I have an under the sink filter that holds a cartridge to remove nitrate from the water that I use for the fish so may experiment with that, but with a softener cartridge for a 50/50 mix.

You can get a three stage ro kit for about 35 quid. I also got a water butt for all the flush water to go in which I can then use in the garden.  It really is a game changer because from there it is easy to dial in the water profile for anything. It is brilliant also when I use it in my kettle and my coffee machine. I drink it too. Clean crisp water. Alkalinity down from 528 to 9.    

Edited by Justin

We're Severn Trent the water from the tap smells like it's coming from the swimming pool some days.😆;  We filter for making tea/coffee, in fact most thing...cooking bla bla. I use bottled water from Bookers when I need to,

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

14 hours ago, Sluggy said:

https://www.darkfarm.co.uk/product/20l-mini-beer-growler-keg-co2-dispenser/

Others are available but these are what I bought 

Thanks muchly chaps, I’ll see how the first brew goes using your advice, can always spring for alternative tops but don’t really wanna deviate from the tap I have already.

I take tap off one and put another when I  want.  I know, how many taps are needed really or can you get away with one,  that is one of the  reasons I bottle , so I can be mobile and also get away with one tap on a kegged beer.  Of course when pressure brewing the beer carbonated at the same time, one of the benefits of unitanking