Spam

Martyn Catanach

I do have a weakness for Spam, but I have never tried smoking it. It is chopped meat but it does contain Nitrite and it is sterile in the can - so you should be able to smoke it. I would limit it to 4 hours in a cool smoker though and keep it refrigerated afterwards. You should then eat it within a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it, it was ace.  Not my own idea though, I saw it on a blog somewhere.  Hot smoked it at about 300f for 2 hours.  I sliced a diamond pattern into it, not all the way through But enough so it opened up as it got hot, then sprinkled rub into gaps.

forget keeping it for a week max Wade, mine didn't see the afternoon out.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2017 at 8:47 AM, Wade said:

I do have a weakness for Spam, but I have never tried smoking it. It is chopped meat but it does contain Nitrite and it is sterile in the can - so you should be able to smoke it. I would limit it to 4 hours in a cool smoker though and keep it refrigerated afterwards. You should then eat it within a week.

Just for you Wade, not smoked but spam gouyons with a nice heavy batter. To die for. 

Cheers n Gone Nick

IMG_20190519_172320.jpg

• Like 2