Pellet smoker!

Lordlarry2510

Have you read up or seen any models you might be interested in? and some owners of them may be able to help you out with some advise, if you list them here?

I've owned a pellet grill for 6 months now and absolutely love it for its versatility and ease of cooking, I haven't lit my bullet smoker since, I find being able to do quick and easy evening meals on it like, chicken wings, steaks, chops, pizzas, paellas, fish at higher temps etc means I use mine 3 or 4 times a week now (20 minutes to get to temp anywhere between 185-600F ) and your off cooking at a very stable temperature you have set it at. No need to worry about indirect/direct it is just a stable temp over the whole grill.

I  do the longer 6 hour + cooks every week/fortnight, which is mainly what I used the bullet smoker for. I understand peoples love of creating and maintaining fire for cooking, but I for one am converted to setting the temp via a dial, knowing I am getting that temp and just enjoying the fact I am outdoor cooking and producing many different dishes I couldn't before. .

It is a big investment, but one I certainly don't regret and I am getting so much more use out of it compared to the bullet smoker. I am sure I will go back to charcoal smoking again, but at the moment don't feel the need to

The one thing I have noticed you get less smoke flavour in your finished cook (which tbh we are both fine with in our house) you do get hotspots , but easy to work round them, when you know where it is.and it is more expensive to run pellets than charcoal, certainly with my Weber model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been looking at the pit boss navigator range and the Louisiana 900. 
sadly my budget just won’t reach to the heights of Weber and top of the range models. 
looking to spend about £800 in total. 
I’ve have looked at the masterbuilt GravityFed charcoal models but worried about the report poor build quality and the size not been big enough.

I’m currently sat with the pit boss 850 navigator in my basket. But it’s a lot of money to spend and I don’t want to regret my decision in a months time 

Thanks 

• Like 1

Don't know anything about the PitBoss as it looks a new product to market. May be worth doing some research first to see what Pitboss Customer Service presence is like in the UK if any problems, if anything like the early Weber problems a good customer service is essential and how that company is able to react to it..

A pellet grill has electronic and mechanical parts that can go wrong and the availability of replacement parts within this country is something worth considering especially if you are essentially a beta tester for a brand new model.

I’ve ordered the pitboss 850 navigator from fire and food BBQ store.

I’m getting the smoker and cover with 4 bags of free pellets £784. 
the smoker has 5 years warranty which Is great. Fire and food deal with all the warranty claims which is good to know.(thanks to sotv for saying to ask that question). 

cant wait for Wednesday when it gets delivered now. 

Thanks Nigel 

Edited by Lordlarry2510
  • Like 2

Congrats on your purchase, I know they're expensive, but if like me you get the use out of it,, it pays for itself. I cook 3 or 4 times a week on mine at the moment and it opens so many more possibilities for wide ranging meals than just lo&slo

Good to hear that the warranty and parts if needed are supported over here for them as well.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 9:05 PM, Lordlarry2510 said:

Hi guys having now started to get to grips with my offset, I’m looking to extend the range with a pellet smoker. 
Problem is which one! 
I don’t want to empty the bank but at the same time don’t want to regret the one I buy. 

any advice welcome 

thanks 

On 7/15/2020 at 9:05 PM, Lordlarry2510 said:

Hi guys having now started to get to grips with my offset, I’m looking to extend the range with a pellet smoker. 
Problem is which one! 
I don’t want to empty the bank but at the same time don’t want to regret the one I buy. 

any advice welcome 

thanks 

Is the problem solved now?

• 8 months later...
On 9/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, Lordlarry2510 said:

Yes thanks.  I have a pit boss navigator 850 which I’m loving makes brisket a breeze. 

Well I'm now in the same position as you were....done a load of research and keen to get the Pit Boss 850 Navigator, still no issues with yours ??