Beef short rib bark

ProQFrontier

Going to have a second try at some beef short ribs this weekend (a rack of 4 as opposed to the two singles I did last time).

I was happy with them last time apart from the  “bark” was not particular dark or “bark like”. Videos and photos I’ve seen seem to have a completely black relatively thick crust.

I have attached a photo from last time - method was roughly 3-4 hours unwrapped followed by 2 hours wrapped with some beef stock added in the foil until I reached temperature.

Any tips on getting a darker/thicker crust would be very welcome. Thanks!

B45E7346-4751-4773-8FF6-BA41BA9C2AAA.jpeg

12 minutes ago, sotv said:

If you haven't got your ribs yet. Tom Hixson are doing this rib offer as part of their daily deals up to the 4th July. If that helps. 

I did a rack of 4 plate ribs last week, and they took close to 12 hours unwrapped at 240F though

12 hours! What internal temperature did you cook to? I wonder why they took twice as long as the ones I did (was cooking at 110c)?

thanks for this, was about to spend 30 quid on 2.5kg From turner and George!

If you sign up to the newsletter, you get £15 of your first £50 order.

I usually cook individual ribs, this was the first rack I did and I expected 10-12 hours (and it was only just over 2kg in weight) I waited till the probe sank into it like butter, it is a thing and very noticeable when it reaches that stage. The probe read 203F but I was more interested on that probe sinking into the meat more than the temp tbh.

I took them to my Dad's for Father's day so they were wrapped in foil for 90 minutes in a cool box, during transport. But would only leave it for 30 minutes next time as they dried out a little bit during the 90 minutes

I did these a good while back and probably the best ones I've done. Cooked at 275f for around 7-8 hours until probing really soft. Rub was just salt and cracked black pepper and lots of it and didn't wrap them. I think the pepper and leaving them unwrapped was key to the bark forming.

76r_HPliTkmPrlRLNgfzNA.jpg

GdXHBMIKTsSayIeg5ZUERg.jpg

htizp97QRe-vzt9cV2xj3w.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tedmus said:

I did these a good while back and probably the best ones I've done. Cooked at 275f for around 7-8 hours until probing really soft. Rub was just salt and cracked black pepper and lots of it and didn't wrap them. I think the pepper and leaving them unwrapped was key to the bark forming.

76r_HPliTkmPrlRLNgfzNA.jpg

GdXHBMIKTsSayIeg5ZUERg.jpg

htizp97QRe-vzt9cV2xj3w.jpg

These look superb mate, that’s the sort of bark i would like on them. I won’t wrap them then!

I see both of you cooked at higher temp, around 135c, as opposed to my 110c, might have to leave the water pan dry to get to that temp as usually around 110 with full water pan. 

sounds like I might be up a wee bit earlier than anticipated on Sunday morning

• Like 1

Go unwrapped and if possible use a strong wood such as oak, cherry or even a combination of both.

The bark adheres to a decent rub so don't be afraid to go too heavy.

These were 10'ish hours unwrapped on a pellet smoker. In fact they were overdone and lost some of that valuable fat!

IMG_20200405_190933.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Go unwrapped and if possible use a strong wood such as oak, cherry or even a combination of both.

The bark adheres to a decent rub so don't be afraid to go too heavy.

These were 10'ish hours unwrapped on a pellet smoker. In fact they were overdone and lost some of that valuable fat!

IMG_20200405_190933.jpg

Look good mate! Nice dark crust as well - just out of interest, what temp did you cook these at? Was it also 275?

1 hour ago, ProQFrontier said:

Thanks will do that too if I am doing whole cook unwrapped, just need to figure out how to keep the Pro Q steady at 275f!

When I've used the Callow bullet I found a terracotta saucer in the water pan worked better than using water for stabilising temps.