New to smoking

Kevin Finnigan

Sure someone (Gaza the instructor) will correct me if I am wrong but if a bullet smoker, I have Napoleon version, look at Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) , Pro Q on here as basic principles will be the same. Had mine about a month, followed a Pitmaster x video on YouTube for the ProQ for a guide. Practice is what you need. If cooking for a family group, suggest smoke some of your favourite sausages with a different wood each time to understand which smoke flavours are preferred. Then try pork chops and work up from there. I smoked a brisket flat rather than a whole brisket and just done Boston butt today, see below. Smoked cauliflower is also worth a try really surprising

64D57323-F017-4695-B7D1-E72586246C50.jpeg

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:28 PM, Kevin Finnigan said:

Just bought the Fornetto Razzo Modular 18" Vertical Bullet Smoker any advice for a newbie 

Hi Kevin - This is a fairly new brand of bullet smoker to hit the UK market. It is very similar to the ProQ Frontier/Elite and All advice on using these will also be appropriate for the Fornetto. If you are new to smoking then I congratulate you on selecting a bullet smoker as these are very easy to use and are the type of smoker that are used widely in competition BBQ.

The first think to remember is that you need to control the heat of the coals in the fire basket right from the beginning. Unlike a BBQ grill (where you start off with a chimney full of hot coals) for the bullet smokers you place mainly unlit charcoal/briquettes in the fire basket and only 9 or 10 fully lit ones in the centre.

Keep the top vents open at all times. Open the bottom vents fully. Monitor the temperature until it reaches about 2/3 of where you need it to be and then start to close down the bottom vents. As the temperature approaches the desired temperature close down the bottom vents further until it stabilises where you need it. It is likely that the bottom vents will end up ALMOST completely closed - but they should not be closed completely. The charcoal/briquettes will then continue to burn slowly generating just enough heat to keep the smoker at the required temperature. One load of good quality briquettes in the fire basket is likely to last 8+ hours.

Use the temperature gauge in the lid as a guide only - they are notoriously inaccurate. It would be worth you investing in a twin probe digital BBQ thermometer - they are not expensive.

While you are getting used to the temperature control, start by smoking something inexpensive and forgiving. A chicken or a pack of sausages are great - or if you feel more adventurous a rack of meaty ribs.

Great to have you on the Forum and don't forget - we like will love to see your photos :thumb1:

• Like 3