Rhubarb Wine.

Well it's been a while since I last made this, started off with 8kg of frozen rhubarb, into a 25lt bucket and added 6 kg of sugar. No liquid at this point, let the rhubarb thaw slowly the sugar will draw out the juice, the bucket will now sit in the backroom for 24/36 hours. Then drain off the liquid add water up to 23 lts, check with a hydro, add a couple of other bits and ferment out...more to follow.

DSC_1181.thumb.JPG.45fcfe1d9d9d16ffc6e62e2828034bf5.JPG

Snapshot_12.thumb.png.1f617909c08a0b1feac8867e64d79fbc.png

Ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justin said:

6kg of sugar, going to take off like a rocket! Interested in the process mate

I won't know until say tomorrow or Sun, this dry method does take a while....you just want the juice, and you don't want to take a potato 🥔 smasher to it,  this can cause the must to go "jelly like" and you don't want that.

Ice.

I got it started this morning,  hit a SG of 140 0 on the 12 lits of juice I extracted, then added enough filtered water to bring it down to 1.073 on 20 lits.   Banged in the yeast & nutrients, it's now sat in the back room.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the rhubarb and it's come down SG 1.010....that gives me 8.14% ABV at the moment...if it goes down to 1.000 that will be 9.45% ABV....it may do lower??? I'm up to the garden later after Amazon has been and getting another load of rhubarb.

I had a sniffer from the test tube....well you have to don't ya?? it's bloody good as of now, what's 6 or 9 months going to be like?

Ice.

• Like 2

I'm thinking I may feed the bugger??  when I had the sniffer it was sweet....so there's more sugar to go before it becomes a dry wine??...if it goes too dry I'll have to back sweeten the bugger as we're not into dry wines.

I also have a strong yeast that I may play with by adding it in a few weeks time as the sugar drops.....just for the hell of it...but I don't want to f*ck it up...it's too good..one of the best wines I do..

Ice.

• Like 1