Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Skagg2000

I picked up a collection of cast iron bits & pieces from an old lady the other day. In the collection as well as the usual cobbler shoe last & fire irons there was a best duty dutch oven on a stand. She said it was from the 1940's but I don't think it's that old however, I've not seen one like it before. The lid has a ribbed griddle on one side & flat griddle on the other. Not sure how you would use that on the pan itself. The problem is it's been used as a garden ornament & has been painted black. I've had the lad out with a wire sander on the drill to get rid of much of the paint but , what should the next steps be before I begin a reseasoning process? Is it worth dipping it in a paint remover or will this taint to iron? likewise what about using the dishwasher to "sterilise" it? Or just get it as hot as hell?

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

Just now, Smokin Monkey said:

You just need to give it to me and I will take care of it! 😂

519DFE53-F5E2-40DE-B183-D868E45C5BB0.thumb.jpeg.cb14d332e53c76d95d56e98fad83a344.jpeg

If you can not get the paint and rust off, get it sandblasted with fine polishing sand, then re season.

Hehe, yeah, sandblasting is a last resort I hope.

Have you ever seem one like this?

IMG_20200530_100309.thumb.jpg.58543182d0d790156d17d692d49048cd.jpg

IMG_20200530_100336.thumb.jpg.d13991c21b50dbc7f53907bd441fa22b.jpg

Cheer n Gone NIck

I sandblast my restoration projects with no problems. Gets it back to how it was manufactured.

Its OK as long as you do not us a very abrasive sand, use polishing sand, takes a bit more time, but you get a good finish.

Got this Rare Norwegian Waffle Press and Stand to clean and re season next week.

5B3ADE2E-0BA4-447E-8661-9EF8D460B79B.thumb.jpeg.381f43737cd022d2afaa37ea97e4093c.jpeg

DBD8314E-9ACD-4C7D-943A-13E225C37D39.thumb.jpeg.ef58b6398e864a092ef11d274e7fa0f8.jpeg

That waffle maker is a thing of beauty. Agree, it seems to be a version of the cook it all. Can't see anything on the Best duty site, unless the brand was owned elsewhere prior to 1984.

Anyway let you know how it comes on as their is no cooking today, well, just some Scotch Eggs.

Cheers n Gone Nick

This is one answer it got of FB

“Stick that thing over a campfire, & let it get pissed off for a while. Move it to a cooler spot if it starts making weird sounds. My Cajun Grandma cooked on that thing over a backyard fire pit while I grew up in Louisiana. Best food ever! I’m sure it had to do with spices, though. Now that I’m all grown up, I’ve realized that cooking is nothing more than breaking down food with heat so our little human bodies can process it. Char & cayenne just add to the enjoyment!
Cook on!!! 🤗

And

”That is awesome, can you grab some more pics like underside/stand and such? ”

1 hour ago, Smokin Monkey said:

This is one answer it got of FB

“Stick that thing over a campfire, & let it get pissed off for a while. Move it to a cooler spot if it starts making weird sounds. My Cajun Grandma cooked on that thing over a backyard fire pit while I grew up in Louisiana. Best food ever! I’m sure it had to do with spices, though. Now that I’m all grown up, I’ve realized that cooking is nothing more than breaking down food with heat so our little human bodies can process it. Char & cayenne just add to the enjoyment!
Cook on!!! 🤗

And

”That is awesome, can you grab some more pics like underside/stand and such? ”

Pictures of the thing I have or referring to sumat else? 

Cheers n Gone Nick

Thanks for taking the time for looking out the additional information. 

I'd noted that best duty are South African owned. Seems they bought best duty and another brand in1984. 

What threw me was that the old lady I bought them from said 1940s so I presumed this was from a previous earlier life of the brand. I couldn't see anything like it on the best duty. Za website. 

Either way seems useful, I'll have to look up a local place to sand blast them as we done our vest manually cleaning it but it's not great

Cheers n Gone Nick 

• Like 1