Homemade rubs or shop bought?

Gizzard

So I've made a couple of rubs myself from online guides which seem ok.

Going to try the simple salt and pepper this weekend but wonder if I should just buy an off the shelf rub?

What's the preference of everyone here? home made or off the shelf? 

If it's homemade what's your best recipe and if it's off the shelf any recommendations??

Cheers

Wayne.

I usually make my own rubs. My go to recipe is:

BBQ Dry Rub

• ½ Cup (64g) of Paprika

• ½ Cup (64g) of Soft Brown Sugar

• 3 TBSP (45g) of Steak Mix

It can be high on the sugar for most and I don't do spicy food at all. But easy to adapt and works as a simple rub for pork and chicken. 

Steak Mix (TGI Fridays French Fry Seasoning) 

• 2 TBSP Garlic Salt (2 Parts)

• 1 TBSP Black Pepper (1 Part)

• ½ TBSP White Sugar (½ Part)

There is supposed to be Onion Powder in the TGI one but I'm not a fan of Onions so I omit. 

I like sauce so I usually make my own and find that can complement a nice rub. I usually like to use Bourbon in them and prefer a Corolina honey style. I try to use water from my drip bowl to give the sauce a nice smokey flavour so my future cooks can get a smokey flavour away from BBQ.  SWMBO has a nice Greek rub that is fantastic I'll try and find that. 

• Like 1

I've never really bought into shop rub's & generally make my own. I have a pile of them bought for me at Christmas / birthdays etc but never opened. The downside of making your own from an online recipe or from a book is there is always something required you don't have in the cupboard.

I do find though that these days I just go with a good old SPG rub on most things. your can use it as a base & embellish it with additional herb & spices as required.

Cheers n Gone NIck

Thanks for all the replies - Did my own SPGish at the weekend and I'm pleased with it. 

2 tablespoons Maldon sea salt flakes

2 tablespoons ground black pepper (Indian preground)

2 tablespoons soft brown sugar

1 tablespoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mid smoke I tried a bit and thought I'd over spiced it as it was hot. After the full cook it was amazing. The heat seemed to dissipate and leave a great flavour. Bought a shaker so I can have some ready to go for next time!

• Like 1