Jacob’s ladder

Kev

This was my first attempt at smoking anything, took about 7 hours before I took off smoker with temp probe showing 95°c. I think it went well, definitely not a set and forget smoker, bit of modding needed to access charcoal easier.

273CB033-D1E6-46B6-9D7E-2F1C1EBF9139.jpeg

1DCA1E91-D3B3-4E3F-99D6-23F2EA61CBE5.jpeg

496E8AFC-5F9B-4DA2-B002-6F1C23F0F48A.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TrulySNAFU said:

I had a few times some supermarket short ribs on the kettle, but below 100C they were all a bit chewy. So I wonder how your cook came out with 95C?

They were a little chewy but only a little and the daughter approved too

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

They were a little chewy but only a little and the daughter approved too

If the daughter approves you've done them right!

I ordered now from two online butchers. The problem with the supermarket produce is that you always get a big and a small one because the package weight is more important than the quality...

27 minutes ago, TrulySNAFU said:

If the daughter approves you've done them right!

I ordered now from two online butchers. The problem with the supermarket produce is that you always get a big and a small one because the package weight is more important than the quality...

I ordered off gridiron meat 

Looks good Kev! If you're looking to get them more tender next time let them come up to 95 and then check them periodically for tenderness by inserting a wooden skewer. If it slides in like a hot knife in butter you're good to go. If not leave them on. Once they hit that sweet spot taken them off, wrap in a towel and put it in a coolbox. Can't stay in there for hours and be served when you want.

Both brisket and short rib are done when they're done. Finishing temps are only a guide and every price of meat is different.

You might consider double wrapping in foil and putting in cool box to let them rest for 30 mins. They will stay hot enough and may tenderise more. The temp can go up 5c during a rest.

Good work on keeping the temp on the smoker at 120c.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

You might consider double wrapping in foil and putting in cool box to let them rest for 30 mins. They will stay hot enough and may tenderise more. The temp can go up 5c during a rest.

Good work on keeping the temp on the smoker at 120c.

It was very hands on to keep the temp

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

I understand. I am happy to keep within 20 degs or so as a tolerance.

That’s good to know going forward, think I got hung up on temp of bbq an kept feeding the fire