Slow Roast Gammon With A Honey + Marmalade Glaze

sotv

Did this today, it was originally a whole gammon bought for a family Easter, but due to covid had to shelve those plans. So cut it into 2 quarters and a half piece. Cooked a quarter piece today and froze the rest.

I removed the rind and soaked the gammon overnight and patted dry before putting in my pre-heated Smokefire at 215F with Hickory pellets. Cooked  to an internal temp of 172F and rested for 15 minutes, it took just under 7 hours . I basted in it mix of an equal amount of honey & marmalade, stirred together, 4 times during the cook. It produces a lovely sweet orangy flavour to the finished gammon along with the smoky taste to the meat. I also did a baked potato  alongside it for just over 5 hours at that temp, it was soft enough, but think it could have gone even longer without overcooking it tbh

The only thing missing was the parsley sauce, but couldn't get any on my last visit to the shops.

IMG_0349.thumb.JPG.1cea81b84daf44a37c61be17fafee8b9.JPG

IMG_0351.thumb.JPG.612e764d64ecefee1a3925b5d8cd5e5f.JPG

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.7b77b09ac57b8fa86878db4a9295b72f.JPG

I think gammon is a fabulous piece of meat to smoke and can be roasted at a much higher temp like 300-350F if time is short, but I prefer mine lo&slo.

• Like 3

Another winner, well done mate. 

Parsley, if you have any parsley growing in your herb garden then it is easy to make. Make a white sauce add parsley? A little mustard in it too makes it nice for gammon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Justin said:

Another winner, well done mate. 

Parsley, if you have any parsley growing in your herb garden then it is easy to make. Make a white sauce add parsley? A little mustard in it too makes it nice for gammon

I also like to add a little bit of the resting juices from the gammon into the parsley sauce, especially if it’s smoked.