Wild Garlic Butter

Knocked up the annual wild garlic butter for the freezer this week.

(Approximate - 250g softened unsalted butter, 75g wild garlic chopped and 1teaspoon of sea salt flakes ( I use Maldon). Brilliant for finishing off steaks, pork chops, asparagus etc etc.

C7F0DB0D-1C37-43F3-9D52-64C5B4003644.thumb.jpeg.0225ade9696b889e5dd6d18e6a20bd3a.jpeg

DD112C09-237E-4256-8990-5004567E71D6.jpeg

Edited by David
  • Like 4

You jammy git...😁 we went down the woods on the farm the other weekend, it's has a stream running through it everything wild garlic loves.  Could we find any?? could we eck as like.

Ice.

Edited by Icefever

35 minutes ago, Icefever said:

You jammy git...😁 we went down the woods on the farm the other weekend, it's has a stream running through it everything wild garlic loves.  Could we find any?? could we eck as like.

Ice.

I have recently relocated to Cheshire and I went for a walk a few weeks ago and I was so happy when I smelt the garlic in the air. Also  managed to find a couple of Blackthorn bushes and what looks like a Bullace tree so some gin will probably be made in the Autumn.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, David said:

I have recently relocated to Cheshire and I went for a walk a few weeks ago and I was so happy when I smelt the garlic in the air. Also  managed to find a couple of Blackthorn bushes and what looks like a Bullace tree so some gin will probably be made in the Autumn.

We've got loads of blackthorn in the hedges around us they are loaded every year... along with miles of blackberries miles from any road so no fumes, about 10 crab apples we know too, so apple jelly later on and also may make some cider, not done that for a long time,  7 bullace trees. Last year we made 10 x 1lb jar of bullace jam, going to make more rhubarb jam this weekend. 👍.

Ice.

• Like 2

I'm tempted now, we have wild garlic everywhere here at the moment. There is a small coppice which cycles, through snowdrops, bluebells & then wild garlic each year i might plunder. I've also got my eye on a number of apple trees that used to be part of various ancient orchards before development too place. As they haven't been managed though i wonder what the fruit would be like?

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skagg2000 said:

I've also got my eye on a number of apple trees that used to be part of various ancient orchards before development too place.

There's loads of fruit trees about left after new build that folks don't or can't be bothered to collect and use....crazy or what??

Ice.

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2020 at 6:05 AM, David said:

Knocked up the annual wild garlic butter for the freezer this week.

(Approximate - 250g softened unsalted butter, 75g wild garlic chopped and 1teaspoon of sea salt flakes ( I use Maldon). Brilliant for finishing off steaks, pork chops, asparagus etc etc.

C7F0DB0D-1C37-43F3-9D52-64C5B4003644.thumb.jpeg.0225ade9696b889e5dd6d18e6a20bd3a.jpeg

DD112C09-237E-4256-8990-5004567E71D6.jpeg

Is it too late in the year to forage for Wild Garlic? Just bought a couple of  kilo's of large crab claws and wondered if this butter would work melted and brushed  over them whilst they are on the grill, or better for just garlic cloves and butter melted in a pan alongside them and then brushed over

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Is it too late in the year to forage for Wild Garlic? Just bought a couple of  kilo's of large crab claws and wondered if this butter would work melted and brushed  over them whilst they are on the grill, or better for just garlic cloves and butter melted in a pan alongside them and then brushed over

Hi,

Usually the season runs from about March - June and is best picked before flowering. (after flowering the flavour is milder).It’s all finished here and died off but I suppose it could vary depending where you are in the uk. I would probably go with the garlic cloves and butter. Last time I had crab claws I was at the crab house cafe near Weymouth. I think I had spicy Chinese  butter with them.

Edited by David
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, David said:

Hi,

Usually the season runs from about March - June and is best picked before flowering. (after flowering the flavour is milder).It’s all finished here and died off but I suppose it could vary depending where you are in the uk. I would probably go with the garlic cloves and butter. Last time I had crab claws I was at the crab house cafe near Weymouth. I think I had spicy Chinese  butter with them.

Been watching a few videos and clarified butter and seasoning seems the way to go, don't know whether to take the ghee shortcut or spend a few hours melting and ladling out the solids in normal butter.

• 9 months later...

I notice the wild garlic is beginning to sprout around here. I want to have a go at making some wild garlic butter this year. I see the OP gave a recipe in his post but just wondered when is the best time to pick garlic, i,e before, during or after flower & which parts of the plant to use, just the leaves, or leaves & stems, or everything except the bulb?

Cheers n Gone Nick