BBQ Dragon Products

Tarmac

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you knew where I could find BBQ Dragon products in the UK?

I quite fancy their chimney starter and fan kit, which could help drive the heat right up on my grill.

Does anyone have one or both of these items? If so, are they any good and where could I get them?

For those that don't know here's a link to a video of them in action:

https://youtu.be/nap0Bg_wAnE

Tarmac

From the look of the video it’s just a forced air kit for a standard chimney starter to get the coals up to cooking temperature faster. I can’t imagine it would have any effect on your actual grill temperature other than you could have your coals on the grill 17 minutes or so faster than normal?

Mikey B

You are right MIkey, but I did think the fan might be useful. I also thought an old hair dryer might do the trick too.

I was researching the idea of buying the large chimney starter from Weber, as I have the smaller one and it's not really big enough. By that I mean it's get's the coals up in about 15 -20 but I have to add almost the same amount again for a family bbq and wait a further 20-30 mins to hit cooking temp.

The idea of getting it all ready so quickly very much appealed to me.

I can’t see any reason an old hairdryer wouldn’t do the job. A silicone pipe joint onto a steel pipe and inserted into a hole cut into the lower portion of the chimney should have the same effect. I saw a video a while ago where a guy built a home made furnace for melting aluminium cans to use for casting and that was the basics of his setup

Mikey B

On 4/21/2020 at 3:20 PM, Tarmac said:

You are right MIkey, but I did think the fan might be useful. I also thought an old hair dryer might do the trick too.

I was researching the idea of buying the large chimney starter from Weber, as I have the smaller one and it's not really big enough. By that I mean it's get's the coals up in about 15 -20 but I have to add almost the same amount again for a family bbq and wait a further 20-30 mins to hit cooking temp.

The idea of getting it all ready so quickly very much appealed to me.

I haven’t used one but from videos I’ve seen the Padamo quick claims to have coals ready in 5 minutes. 

D9331E03-468A-45D8-9044-01A0DFFB1489.thumb.png.fda843050a241981fa204c793e4b0c96.png

Thanks for this David, looks ideal. Not a bad price either. 

A nice alternative to the Dragon fan. 

Whether I can justify spending money on it right now I think not. The wife may rightly ask why I'm being so impatient waiting for coal to light lol. 

Hi Ice, you're right. It's just a case of trying to get the coals to temp as quickly as possible. This quest began when I was looking for a new chimney starter as I only have the little weber one. Upon researching I came across the Dragon BBQ Insanity Chimney and tried to find a UK distributor, of which there isn't one sadly. 

David joined in the discussion and found this one as a suitable alternative. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tarmac said:

The wife may rightly ask why I'm being so impatient waiting for coal to light lol. 

This is a big problem with this hobby mate..🤣...that money you've saved you can now spend on meat...

2 hours ago, Tarmac said:

This quest began when I was looking for a new chimney starter

There are bigger chimneys about, I was looking last year and came across a few at a good price.

Ice.

Very true. She has a look of scorn everytime I say "On the smokers forum they recommend...."

I've gone with the large Weber Chimney as my friend lent me his over the weekend and I was impressed how quickly it heated up a whole slow n sear's worth of coal. About 20 mins, just before I did Kettle Fried Chicken :)

That said, if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear them bud?

I saw the BBQ Jet air which looks very impressive. Saves on firelighters too: 

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve got the dragon and it’s good for lots... e.g. starting an egg or it allows to start directly on the grate with a few coals in a kettle or in a slow n sear 

also great for example when doing reverse sears and needing a quick change in temp plus it’s handy for managing fire pits 

think of it more as a general fire and temp management tool than as an accessory for a chimney

• Like 2

On 5/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, Tarmac said:

Sounds perfect! Where did you purchase it?

Hey Tarmac,

By coincidence I was speaking to the owners of the website totallybbq and they're getting a delivery of the Chimney of Insanity and The Dragon Fan this week. They should be live on the website by the end of next week.

I'm looking at getting them too. Have seen them used as a wok burger, to sear steaks, on the slow'n'sear when using the cold grate technique... If they do what they claim, it looks great. 

Mark

Ahh that's great news. I like the look of their products. However I've nought another chimney starter now. I contacted totally bbq via email and social media and no one got back to me, I thought they might have closed down. 

The fan looks especially helpful and is definitely buy one of their side tables. 

1 hour ago, Tarmac said:

Ahh that's great news. I like the look of their products. However I've nought another chimney starter now. I contacted totally bbq via email and social media and no one got back to me, I thought they might have closed down. 

The fan looks especially helpful and is definitely buy one of their side tables. 

They're definitely still in business, just struggling to get stock shipped over apparently. I've been talking with them about the new slow'n'sear kettle BBQ and that's when they mentioned the BBQ dragon stuff. 

I think they're just getting the fans and chimney though, it's a shame as the table looks good. 

Which chimney did you go for in the end?

Just had a look on their website; I like the look of the new Slow n Sear Kettle, nice bit of kit.

I went with the Weber one in the end, the big one. It does what it says on the tin, heats up in 15 mins and the perfect amount for a 57cm Weber Kettle cook.

It also fill the imitation slow n sear I use perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...