Rocket Stoves

sotv

Been watching some videos lately on Rocket Stoves and wondering if anybody had any experience using one and recommendations/pitfalls of them.

They look a very controlled and not to messy way of cooking or frying for short periods of time. Mainly wondering how much work is required to maintain the fire and does it need to be constantly watched and how smoky they can be whilst in use.

The pieces of wood used in the video, mostly seem to be stripped of bark and cut into even lengths on the videos I see and I thought the principle of these were you can use any sort of small pieces of wood ( even conifers) you find lying about and just  start cooking. i don't really want the expense of buying prepared wood for these

There seem to be 3 main stoves that I have seen reviewed (mostly German/Dutch so no real understanding of what they're saying) EcoZoom, Petromax and BBQ Toro 2 (seems the best value) anybody got one of these and happy to recommend?

I want to get some use out of my cast iron stuff and these seem a good way of being able to use them more

Thanks

Edited by sotv

3 minutes ago, sotv said:

I want to get some use out of my cast iron stuff and these seem a good way of being able to use them more

Same here mate...I've watched a number of build your own on the tube...watched one yesterday where a guy made one from an old gas bottle.  I've seen the Petromax one while on their site checking out their DO's t'other day...not cheap.

I must admit the stove that @Smokin Monkey has (think it's a Joy?) would work well...

Ice.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, Smokin Monkey said:

Correct @Icefever, I use a Joy Stove and I find it fantastic for cooking with a Dutch Oven, you also have a Cooking Rack, and you can also buy an Oven which fits on it, very versatile.

London Log Co

7844F7EE-05E0-4644-A0CF-EAB094704969.thumb.jpeg.7afa223a7262b778156bc51d6e45ca71.jpeg

I have been looking at the Joy stove and the EcoZoom Versa, Power Ring, Stove-Bag combo half the price of the Joy Stove when you factor in the bag. But so hard to find reviews on these sort of stoves. 

I certainly wouldn't use the stove as often as you seem to and although I would  cook mostly with charcoal,  it also offers a wood option.

I haven't got to buy it quickly (probably will though) as the wife is feeling very sorry for the at the moment and I need to strike while the iron is hot so to speak😃 If anybody has experience of the Ecozoom, I would be grateful for their thoughts on it as I know @Smokin Monkey rates the Joy Stove

Another quick question, can you regulate the temps on these, or do they just burn at a hot constant temperature the lit coals settle at, till they start cooling off? and how long does lumpwood burn for usually before they need topping up. Also do you add lit coals on top of them or can you add unlit ones inside to catch

Hi Steve, hope you are feeling better.

Just looked at the Echozoom, it’s identical to the Petromax, so search for that.

The Joy Stove is very versatile, it comes with a grilling rack and the pot rings which can be removed for larger pots. Another thing you get with it, is what looks like a Vortex ring, but it’s sides are parallel instead of sloped. This is a Charcoal saver, so if you only using a small pot there’s no need to fill the whole stove. 

Temperature control 🤔 there is temperature control via sliding inner ring that covers the airways, but it’s not that good.

A good handful of Lump wood burns for about 30 minutes, but that’s only a guess. If you look at the picture of the stove, the square section at the bottom of the picture is a handle, one each side, but these open so you can add charcoal, without moving the grate.

You can also buy a Oven Top for the Stove to make it totally versatile.

Just cooked some Curry Sauce on mine 👳🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Hi Steve, hope you are feeling better.

Just looked at the Echozoom, it’s identical to the Petromax, so search for that.

The Joy Stove is very versatile, it comes with a grilling rack and the pot rings which can be removed for larger pots. Another thing you get with it, is what looks like a Vortex ring, but it’s sides are parallel instead of sloped. This is a Charcoal saver, so if you only using a small pot there’s no need to fill the whole stove. 

Temperature control 🤔 there is temperature control via sliding inner ring that covers the airways, but it’s not that good.

A good handful of Lump wood burns for about 30 minutes, but that’s only a guess. If you look at the picture of the stove, the square section at the bottom of the picture is a handle, one each side, but these open so you can add charcoal, without moving the grate.

You can also buy a Oven Top for the Stove to make it totally versatile.

Just cooked some Curry Sauce on mine 👳🏽‍♂️

Thanks will take a look at the Petromax over the weekend and some comparison best I can with the Ecozoom, if I had somewhere to store the Joystove would probably go for it. But the though of spending £60 for the cover on top makes me baulk at that idea tbh

3 hours ago, Icefever said:

I must admit the cast iron stove/bbq I bought to use with the Lodge #12 works a treat, best £20 I've spent on this BBQ'ing malarky. 👍 There's time when I have to justify the expense if only to myself..😁.

Ice.

Did look at it, but cast iron is likely to rust so quickly in my case and my storing options. But it does look good value for what it is. I don't think I would use it often as I have a grill and like next week intend doing a neck of lamb stew for my wife and an Ox cheek stew for me in Dutch Ovens and they will both comfortably fit in my grill at the same time and any other further meals, like that in the future and it is so easy to fire up and start cooking tbh. See it as more of a side burner use if the grill is ever full of meat and I want to do some camp beans, sides or a dessert etc in the Dutch oven or skillet at the same time and I need the space.

19 hours ago, Smokin Monkey said:

Been speaking to the distributor and advises this re cooking and temp control. As you say they're not brilliant for it, but they do a job

With the Versa you change from stick wood to charcoal by closing the upper door. Then you can drop charcoal lumps onto the fire to keep it fed. Charcoal needs less oxygen than stick wood, which needs more oxygen mixed up with it to get a good burn, and this is why the upper door is used. To throttle oxygen supply the lower door is used, fully open or closed or all points in between. A cool fire at start up needs more oxygen flow to get it moving

Edited by sotv