Jam making.

Icefever

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Mikey B said:

How easy would it be to make chilli jam to use as a rib glaze?

ive never tried to make jam before just wondering if I’d be jumping in at the deep end lol

Mikey B

Go for it mate, there's no deep end you'll be ok...👍 make a small batch....

150 grams small red chilli
600 grams white sugar
350 ml white wine or cider vinegar
pectin

Just remember it's not just the seeds that hold the heat...it's also in the white membrane  on the inside of the pod.

Ice.

3 hours ago, Mikey B said:

If I wanted to add fruit to the chilli jam can I just substitute part of the weight of chilli?

like maybe 100g of fruit to 50g of chilli and come out with a fruity jam that has a little heat to it?

Mikey B

Yes mate...just be mindful of the total weight of fruit/chilli with the pectin amount. Also what fruit you will use, as they all have different pectin levels...this will affect the set...too much pectin will set the jam like a jelly... .what do you have in mind.

Ice.

7 minutes ago, Icefever said:

Yes mate...just be mindful of the total weight of fruit/chilli with the pectin amount. Also what fruit you will use, as they all have different pectin levels...this will affect the set...too much pectin will set the jam like a jelly... .what do you have in mind.

Ice.

\\\\s recipe i have for my bread maker (which also makes jam)

Redcurrents roughly mashed 330g

Root ginger grated 4cm

Chillies finely chopped (2)

Sugar 150g

Powdered pectin 3 g

Put all ingredients bar sugar and pectin in then top with the sugar and pectin.

1. hr 40 on menu 26 for panasonic sd 2501

This is a soft set jam

Edited by Justin

25 minutes ago, Justin said:

Redcurrents roughly mashed 330g

Red Currants possess equal amounts of pectin and acidity, so should set well, without the need of pectin.

The basic's of jam making is the weight of fruit you have along with the same weight of sugar....your bread maker recipe calls for less than 50%?? but hey go with it mate and see what happens...it could be the extra pectin they want you to use that will help the set but then with less sugar will not be too sweet?

Ice.

I wanted to have a go at making a Mango/Habanero, I like watching TRoy cooks and he uses a Texas Rib candy that he says is his favourite. So I thought I’d like to try that on some ribs too.

if that comes out ok then I might try mixing up a few other things later on.

Mikey B

• 1 month later...