Returning to the world of BBQ

valve90210

Hi all, 

It's been a while since I was around here much, life has been rather busy for the last 4 years as I've been combining co-parenting, working full-time and studying hard. With my studies pretty much having finished now, I should have a little more spare time and I'm planning on using some of it for the wonderful art of smoking meat!!

Having only done a few cook over the last couple of years of so, this morning I decided to fire up my Davy Crockett and I've currently got some beef short ribs and a pork shoulder on the go. This evening I will also be roasting a chicken in the DC so a good hickory smelling day here today. 

I'll try to remember to take some photos and get them up here. 

• Like 3

Scott used to amaze us at the Smokingmeatforum cookoffs. He would raid local skips to salvage old rusty kettle BBQs which he would bring along. He would then use them to prepare some of the best BBQ that rivalled many of the other more expensive smokers.

👍

• Like 3

True that, still got my bargain kettle and it's still going strong! the ash catcher is rusted away but I'm going to make a blanking plate for it and she'll be fine again! lol. 

I hope there will be a national smoking weekend again, was always a highlight of my year!! 

• Like 1

As promised, here are the photos. 

Getting some nice smoke - about a  hour into the cook.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ee6873f4dc6d64050963b85454dc842.jpeg

Once the pork and ribs were done, I also cooked a spatchcock chicken.

image.thumb.jpeg.561610d54d13688f2dd05fd265ad903f.jpeg

The ribs turned out nicely.

image.thumb.jpeg.c441ba7c1392b17309a32b09a331485a.jpeg

Nice smoke ring and lovely and tender.

image.thumb.jpeg.29b8037f95dff06e168a37bf84a00617.jpeg

Forgot the photo pre-pull but the pork turned out nice.

image.thumb.jpeg.46fe92d3d9b31b5959e8b0651a3ef993.jpeg

Decided to finish the chicken under the grill to crisp the skin up a bit but got distracted and it caught a little which was disappointing but the meat was delicious.

image.thumb.jpeg.17c4c442ca8e1d88357bb58c8eef4479.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 2:46 PM, valve90210 said:

True that, still got my bargain kettle and it's still going strong! the ash catcher is rusted away but I'm going to make a blanking plate for it and she'll be fine again! lol. 

I hope there will be a national smoking weekend again, was always a highlight of my year!! 

I agree but no one taking that on. I tried regional to be but it did not come off.