Smoked & Braised Oxtails

sotv

Decided to do some Smoked Oxtails today.

Trimmed of excess fat and used Cavender's Greek Seasoning, as it goes well in Stew type dishes.

IMG_0012.thumb.JPG.4397f0f1cf368ff855fe1353384f22de.JPG

Put on Smoker for 2 hours @ 240F with hickory woodchips for 2.5 hours and formed a nice crust and colour.

IMG_0013.thumb.JPG.6217a587c4382b22100755fe726f0fe3.JPG 

Prepped the Braising liquid/gravy 30 minutes before adding the Oxtails and will cook with lid on the Dutch Oven for another 4-5 hours at 240F, hopefully will be fork tender by then and serve up with some buttered mash and savoy  cabbage

IMG_0014.thumb.JPG.77a96fb3b2f9786cdc0dba1f91fcab1d.JPG

original Recipe here if interested

Will post picture of finished dish later.

Edited by sotv
  • Like 5

After 4 and a half hours braising.in the Dutch oven, and fork tender with a very beefy taste and the sauce it was cooked in was lovely when reduced and spooned over them. Would try and trim the fat better next time before putting in the smoker, still some that hadn't fully dissolved, but easy enough to sort out from the meat in the finished dish.

Cost me £5 for a kg from Sainsbury's and more than enough for 2 probably stretch to 3 tbh

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.5ae5ca0ec0a2c7bcdc93727c26adcd30.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sotv said:

After 4 and a half hours braising.in the Dutch oven, and fork tender with a very beefy taste and the sauce it was cooked in was lovely when reduced and spooned over them. Would try and trim the fat better next time before putting in the smoker, still some that hadn't fully dissolved, but easy enough to sort out from the meat in the finished dish.

Cost me £5 for a kg from Sainsbury's and more than enough for 2 probably stretch to 3 tbh

IMG_0017.thumb.JPG.5ae5ca0ec0a2c7bcdc93727c26adcd30.JPG

Looks awesome 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Justin said:

Well done. Big beefy flavour?

Thanks, Very, except for Bavette steaks, think it has had the most beefy flavour of any cut I have tried

6 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

Yeah love doing oxtail ! Next time add some beef/ox cheeks to it .

Sounds a good idea, not tried them before, but have tried pigs cheeks and enjoyed them. Maybe even kidneys.

1 hour ago, sotv said:

Thanks, Very, except for Bavette steaks, think it has had the most beefy flavour of any cut I have tried

Sounds a good idea, not tried them before, but have tried pigs cheeks and enjoyed them. Maybe even kidneys.

They take longer than pigs obviously. But I did the spicy oxtail with beef cheeks and shin of beef stew at Anglia tailgate . 

You could also add some smoky bacon and bay leaf red wine  . And white kidney beans 

• Like 1

Had quite a bit of sauce left over, thought about adding a tin or 2 of drained butter beans to it and chucking it all in the soup blender with the veg and seeing if it could turn into a soup, as it had some lovely flavours. Never got round to it and chucked it down the drain. Will think about it next time.

2 hours ago, Raptor72 said:

They take longer than pigs obviously. But I did the spicy oxtail with beef cheeks and shin of beef stew at Anglia tailgate . 

You could also add some smoky bacon and bay leaf red wine  . And white kidney beans 

Very tasty it was too