Hi from sunny south Wales

ndg_2000

Hi

Stumbled on this site after looking into the Kamados from Lidl.

I have a Pitt boss 24 inch kamado and also a small Kamado i made from a keg (it needs a bit of tlc before I can use it again) 

Been smoking meat  for a couple of years now and haven't looked back 

Nige

IMG_20190505_082144.thumb.jpg.a849ccdc003b7e6292c92bf7c259f226.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Simon It's great I have cooked everything from "pork butt" or shoulder to us in the UK to burgers and sausage on it and have not had a problem with it. I have done some minor modifications to it and also managed to fit a cheap rotisserie to it with help form a friend with a lathe ( to turn down a spitt so I don't damage the ceramic). Do you have a kamado?

Not had a Webber kettle but the brother in law has one and swears by it.

At £539 the Pitt boss(now Louisiana) kamado has a lot of cooking area and cooks everything from low and slow to searing hot for Pizza and everything in between I could not fault it. And if you compare the Costco price to some of the other kamados out there of a similar size the price is very competitive.

To be totally honest if you do buy a Louisiana Grill you may need to add some extra felt gasket material to the upper rotating damper and to the sliding door at the bottom to ensure it goes out when closed down but after that it's one of the most versatile cookers I've ever used.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great setup you have there. I had a look at the Kamado last time I was in Costco and it's clearly a high-quality product. I hear great things about them but the lack of cooking space is a turn off for me (as well as the price). They're on the shopping list for when I get a bit more money... :) 

Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

17 minutes ago, ExclusiveBBQ said:

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great setup you have there. I had a look at the Kamado last time I was in Costco and it's clearly a high-quality product. I hear great things about them but the lack of cooking space is a turn off for me (as well as the price). They're on the shopping list for when I get a bit more money... :) 

Looking forward to seeing your cooks.

Aw really too small???? I have had it a year now and don't have any problems cooking anything on it. Unless you are coming from an offset or possibly a UDS I can't really think of a home BBQ cooker that this doesn't beat on Price per inch on cooking space.

4 minutes ago, ndg_2000 said:

Aw really too small???? I have had it a year now and don't have any problems cooking anything on it. Unless you are coming from an offset or possibly a UDS I can't really think of a home BBQ cooker that this doesn't beat on Price per inch on cooking space.

Oh for sure, I just spent a bit more and got. Traeger :) I knew I only wanted a smoker and the Traeger can, in theory, fit a couple of briskets on. I've got a cheapo kettle BBQ that can do my grilling so I knew I didn't need something that could sear like a kamado does. 

That makes sense..... I bought what seemed to me to be the Swiss army knife of BBQ cooking I don't have the largest garden and wanted most of my cooking to be done by one device but I couldn't get rid of the Kamado I made from a keg as I had invested quite a few hours in making it.

Looking forward to your adventures, show us your cooks and hopefully you will find lots of helpful people and resources. I have been on the forum since last March 2018 and I have found and continue to find many friends and much help.  The tailgates are great fun. I have organised the inaugural spring Anglia and Southeast which was earlier this year with and I am going to the Midlands, Northern and National ones through the year. They are great fun and relaxing. Hope to see you at one of those in the future, Would love to see your keg conversion in action although as homebrewer would fill it up with beer

I learnt lots from this forum including cold smoking and charcuterie. Now I am into all grain brewing too, all through the inspiration derived from this forum

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Justin said:

Would love to see your keg conversion in action although as homebrewer would fill it up with beer.

I will show it in action after I spend a little time sorting out some of the issues I have with it at the moment. The keg was non viable for use as a keg as a forklift had pierced the top; my friend was going to use it as a mashtun but gave it to me when I explained what use I was going to put it to.