Timings

sub333

We're having friends over in a few weeks time at lunchtime, and I'd like to cook some meat on the ProQ.

When I did pulled pork recently, it was delicious, but it took 8-9hrs + resting time, so realistically this would mean lighting the smoker at midnight/1am, getting it up to temp then smoking the meat through the night. I don't really want to get up every few hours to check it, so I was wondering if you can hot-smoke in two stages, ie give it 4-5hrs, let it cool, then finish it off on the day people are coming over. Would that work?

Any advice gratefully received.

4 minutes ago, Smokin Monkey said:

No, cook it before and reheat.The flavour actually develops over time.

But would it be OK cooked in two stages, ie two lots of 4hrs? Or did you mean do it all the way through then reheat it? 

13 hours ago, sub333 said:

so realistically this would mean lighting the smoker at midnight/1am, getting it up to temp then smoking the meat through the night. I don't really want to get up every few hours to check it,

THIS is where a Smartfire or similar would help.

It will keep an eye on things, tweak the airflow to keep the pit temp in range and alert you if it cant or your food is cooked quicker than expected. 

To be fair though, I think for pulled pork, leftovers are always tastier and Steve's suggestion is probably what i would do even though i do have the Smartfire.

Phil.

• Like 1