BBQ shack build so far....

Rather than hijack another thread as I've been asked a couple of times how I built my outdoor cooking area from mainly recycled materials, so here goes. I'll add some photos at the end.

The frame is the only bit that I had to buy, I was going to use telegraph poles, but they leach tar/creosote and are notoriously hard to find so i bit the bullet and went for 3m 4"x4" fence post uprights, th rafters are 6"x2" tanalised construction timber. Its  about 2.5m wide at one end and 2.0m at the other with a dog leg in the middle due to the Devon bank behind it. The frame was braced with 45° noggins screwed I to place as in photo, cost of framework was about £100. The roof is reclaimed wriggly tin from a farmer up the road, right place right time.... free. The pallets were from a local roofing company who were glad to get rid of them.... free, I broke them up with a pry bar and recycled all the nails. A pallet is about 1.2m long so I put in some 3x3" uprights mid span to fix the pallet planks too, had to do a bit of jigging about because of the bank behind.... they are protected so we cant touch them.....much. I put a concrete pad in the corner as I am building a cob oven this summer. Ok all the slabs are reclaimed and we got them from Facebook marketplace.... just had to collect from a couple of places.... 60+ slabs....... free.

So that's the story so far, it is being extended to the right hand side by a further 1.5m which is where the UDS's and Webber will sit, but not yet as we need to get a digger into the garden for some more landscaping. The left hand side will be blocked in to half height and I will make some shutters for when the wind blows.... we are almost at the high point of our village so it gets windy, the right hand side will have a roll up canvas for an entrance....  Any questions ask away.... loving my cooking over fire journey.

@Raptor72 tagged you.

20180520_164054.jpg

20180615_174051.jpg

20180701_165339.jpg

20180814_153515.jpg

20180818_144427.jpg

20181003_163032.jpg

20181003_163050.jpg

Edited by Nice But
  • Like 6

Projects like that always make me look on enviously, with something like that, DIY isn't my forte. Got to put some picture hooks up tomorrow, expecting to bring half the wall down with me in doing so. 😀

Edited by sotv
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, sotv said:

Projects like that always make me look on enviously, with something like that, DIY isn't my forte. Got to put some picture hooks up tomorrow, expecting to bring half the wall down with me in doing so. 😀

It's not rocket science @sotv

If you look closely the joints are shall we say...... rustic. It withstood several Devon gales over winter so robust as well.

Have a go the fun is in the learning.... I'm going to have a go at welding again when I build my UDS..... not welded for 30 years so should be a laugh...🤣🤣

Edited by Nice But
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...