Scott Rea Project Corned Beef (Part 1)

Reesyd

Evening all, or morning for some maybe,

So I put this out there 2 or so weeks ago that I was doing the Scott Rea Project Corned Beef. Many conversations later, with very knowledgeable advice (Smoking Monkey and others) as this almost went straight in the bin, still may yet, and it is sort of ready today.

So out of the fridge after 13 days (mmm?), some raw meat looking spots where it had been weighted down but everything else nice and browned and looking as in the vid. I did'nt turn it every day and weight it down with a plate as the weight couldn't do it with the kit I had. So pinned to the deck it was.

So into the pan after washing tonight and I'm going to do the full 4 hours as Scott did, not the recommended at least 2 hours, due to certain ingrediants ( the wife thinks the Police, are still going to turn up asking questions, we now have a security  area and the Grnadchildren are only allowed in certain parts of the house. Mrs D thought the fridge may go at any moment I kid you not. getting her to eat it still may be a challenge!)

I did learn a trick or tip when picking the brisket up from the local butcher though as it had sort of gone around with the lads. This was if you think you've got you're salt right for you're brine an egg should float in it. On arriving home a Taymar class life boat had more chance of sinking than the egg duly presented. This may not be good advice though from a novice briner.

Any way, pics thus far below and Part 2 to follow hopefully.

Brining.jpg

On The Hob.jpg

Pinky Spots in Brine.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all

So Scott Rea Project Corned Beef Part 2 (Apologies I could change the original title to make one entry)

Firstly, I must state I am so glad this piece of briskett did not go in the bin.

So after 4 hours I pull this out of the pot.

IMG_7328.thumb.jpg.c238276575ad1fe67390f4870c82630d.jpg

So being red hot from the pan I had to do that thing which Scott does and go for a bit as shown. When warm the meat tears as seen but I suppose this is to be expected. Looks rich and lovely though and very very soft throughout.

IMG_7330.thumb.jpg.6bf2662202b6637d0377a0510b9e9343.jpg

This did not go to well at this stage! I have not a hate but a distinct dislike of cloves. The taste reminds me of my Grandmothers apple pie with cream. Why ruin apples and cream with cloves?? Not knowing what the effects of saltpeter would have I initially thought that is what it tasted like and I thougfht once Mrs D had tatsed it, it was destined for the bin.

Anyway this was around 10pm so Mrs D was sound asleep with the grandchildren.

In the morning I suggested she taste some, as I slipped out the door for a bit of golf, and if no good get a chicken in for Sunday lunch. Also spoke to Pa who comes over every if not all Sundays for dinner with the same question.

On retrurning home both were very keen to press on with the brisket. So sliced up for dinner.

IMG_7335.thumb.jpg.4dacaf86a0675a939c6a3938f5898387.jpg

Apologies for going on so now onto the learnings.

Would I do it again. Yep. without a shadow of doubt. The clove taste significantly lessened overnight whilst the meat was in the fridge. In fact the table requested it again.

It tasted exactly like the tinned stuff which was commented on by all who ate. My brother turned up out of the blue (yeah right) who lives with Pa, and managed a reasonable portion!

There wasnt any excessive salt taste at all although, maybe disguised by clove, although I will review the saltpeter and levels of salt used next time. Normally with bacon I can get a thirst on but not with this brisket.

A very enjoyable experience by someone whos' never brined before. Now looking forwards to another brisket and other brinable destined for the BBQ foods.

There was only one critisism I could have made and this was no fat rolled into the brisket middle as in the first photo. Would have liked some of the external fat in the middle. I will try and source one either not trimmed that well or a larger one to get the fat rolled into the middle.

Left overs destined for onions, mash potato and beetroot juice as Mrs D loves corned beef hash and this is what this was made for originally.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed with the whole experience and the end product. Not sure I should endorse the recipe but on the whole for health reasons with saltpater and salt levels, but comment above on that considered I would probably do it again without hesitation. It was very tasty.

I hope readers got something from the post and give this a try (maybe modified) as it was really good.

Cheers, Rees

IMG_7324.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, Smokin Monkey said:

Looks good Rees. Glad the family enjoyed it and you can now adjust the flavourings to your personal taste.

Would look at the Saltpater, and go for Cure #1 instead and use a cure calculator.

I've made Scott Rea's corned beef a number of times and it always turns out lovely. I've tried less bringing time but it doesn't penetrate the meat so you get a grey middle bit. As Smokin Monkey says I'd use Cure #1 (Not #2) rather than saltpeter

• Like 1