Cold then hot?

martin_b

I would also like to know this aswell since I was wondering the same thing but with burgers, couldnt find a definitive answer (obviously mince meat will be a higher risk of bacteria growth).

If I was to guess, I would say cold smoke for 2 hours max and then cook straight away...not sure if you could cold smoke for longer without curing first🤔

I don't know the answer but this feels like potentially dangerous territory! Typically when cold smoking meat, you would cure it first, the salt will help to inhibit some bacteria but not all.

I'm not sure what benefit you would be getting from cold smoking and then cooking? If I want chicken to have a smoky flavour then I would cook indirectly at around 100/120 degrees C, with your smoking wood of choice - can always be finished in the oven if you want.

@AdamG I have done burgers like this on the Go-Anywhere - charcoal and wood chunks on one side, bring the burgers up to temp and then sear over the coals, works a treat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure either, I agree that it might be safer curing first.

Though what I do as an alternative is I cold smoke salt. I did about 1kg of Rock salt and 500g of Malden salt before Christmas. I then throw that on as a seasoning and I find I can get a nice Smokey flavour. I also use it for my rubs for my chips/wedges etc. 

• Like 1