Hello from Suffolk

Sooty

Hi, I’m Gary from Ipswich, Suffolk (a.k.a Sooty - I’m a retired chimney sweep). I’ve been cooking on charcoal grills - just standard kit, the good - the bad - & the ugly (mostly ugly!) for years. But I’ve just treated myself to a Napoleon kettle bbq and I’m keen to learn from the wealth of knowledge here, and up my game - I’m planning on trying low&slow cooking and hot smoking. I’ve dabbled at making my own rubs and sauces in the past, particularly using my home grown chillies, and that’s something I’d like to get into more. 

Looking forward to getting actively involved with forum  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, just wondering how you have gotten on with the napoleon? Is it the 22 with the cat iron and adjustable grate? Looks really nice but £300 is a bit pricey when I’ve got a Weber that is still just about usable (10 years old). I do like the idea of a cast iron grate and hinged lid plus ability to add fuel without lifting grate (a real pain on my standard Webber). Thanks

Hi Dazza, it’s early days yet - I’ve only used the Napoleon a couple of times (yeah, mines the 22” with the fancy looking cast iron grate), so far, I’m really impressed. Last weekend I tried my first low & slow cook with a whole pork belly over apple wood chips  - it was easy to maintain a steady temp and everyone gave the results a thumbs-up. I looked at Webbers, (never owned one, but used a few before) but they seemed less well made than I remember. 

The Napoleon feels solid and well made - time will tell! - and the fancy hinged cast iron grate clinched it for me. 
Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I decided not to invest in one and instead just replaced a few bits on my 10 year old Webber (rusted one touch clean system and new gourmet grate). 

Still would love the napolean 5600 when I one day have 1300 of spare money to Chuck on a bbq!!!