Brisket a bit dry on WSM

Hugh Crackman

Hey all, 

I've just gone from a weber Kettle 57 to a 57cm WSM. (Personal opinion) on the kettle I was smoking brisket to almost perfection... so I upgraded to my WSM and we'll completely over done my brisket today, temperatures seemed on point but it came out really dry?! 

So I wrapped the brisket at 165, and cooked to 195 before resting for 2 hours. I used the minion method and spritzer from about 2 hours in (total smoke 5 hours before wrap)... has anyone else had this or got any tips to prevent a dry brisket

14 hours ago, The Chairmaker said:

How long total cooking time? How did it probe? Did you put any liquid in the foil when wrapping?

6 hours on smoke, I did have some apple juice mixed with water in the foil. I'm thinking now that I probably didn't have enough and should used a foil tray 

6 hours ago, Simon said:

How often have you used the WSM? Could it just be a bit of teething pains as it’s your first time doing brisket on the WSM?

Could be, it was my very first cook on the WSM. I had the smoker between 205 and 225. It seemed steady through out both on probe and the factory fitted gauge. The meat tasted well, great smoke ring as I say just a bit dry. 

9 hours ago, Hugh Crackman said:

6 hours on smoke, I did have some apple juice mixed with water in the foil. I'm thinking now that I probably didn't have enough and should used a foil tray 

6 hours sounds very short for a brisket. My last was a 6kg one and it had something like 13 hours cooking and a couple of hours in a warm box.

• Like 1