Are all Cheapo Barbecue's Much The Same ? (beginner)

Rob1969

Hey guys i fancy buying a budget kettle bbq and coals. I have a budget of £25 to £50. Are the cheap kettle ones all much the same or is there a particular place selling one thats better than the rest. It will only be for grilling meats and chicken for 2 people. I was thinking of popping round to Asda or B&M to see what they have but i thought i would ask first if there is one that stands out from the rest.

never used a cheap bbq but would imagine they are all pretty much similar, if its only grilling for 2 people then i would assume any would do you till you get the bug, then its got to be a weber.👍 cos everybody knows every other bbq is rubbish.😁

Hi Rob1969,

I already had a Razzo bullet smoker and was looking at cheap kettles a couple of months ago and looked at a few but the quality was really poor, especially when compared to the Razzo, and I just couldn't bring myself to part with money for them so ended up buying a Weber Master-Touch.

Maybe look for a second hand cheap kettle on Gumtree or similar and try it, near me (southampton, there is a free barrel bbq and a Jamie Oliver Kettle for £20, both on Gumtree.

Martin

I managed to pick up my Weber OTP for £40 on Marketplace a few years ago so there are bargains out there if you're patient.

Wrong time of year for cheap bbq bargains though I would have thought. I did notice a Weber inspired kettle BBQ in Morrisons the other week that looked it might be decent, £67 though.

3700959.jpg

On 6/6/2021 at 4:31 PM, smokeyjoe said:

never used a cheap bbq but would imagine they are all pretty much similar, if its only grilling for 2 people then i would assume any would do you till you get the bug, then its got to be a weber.👍 cos everybody knows every other bbq is rubbish.😁

Thanks for your reply mate. I do preferer to buy quality but the cheapest is £90 for the smaller Weber kettle. But maybe second hand is better in this instance ;)

3 hours ago, Ripple said:

Hi Rob1969,

I already had a Razzo bullet smoker and was looking at cheap kettles a couple of months ago and looked at a few but the quality was really poor, especially when compared to the Razzo, and I just couldn't bring myself to part with money for them so ended up buying a Weber Master-Touch.

Maybe look for a second hand cheap kettle on Gumtree or similar and try it, near me (southampton, there is a free barrel bbq and a Jamie Oliver Kettle for £20, both on Gumtree.

Martin

Thanks for your reply i hate cheap quality too but due to my circumstances i dont have funds to go lavish ;) I have searched on gumtree and facebook but the ones i seen are far away or in poor condition with rust. Ill keep on looking ;)

1 hour ago, tedmus said:

I managed to pick up my Weber OTP for £40 on Marketplace a few years ago so there are bargains out there if you're patient.

Wrong time of year for cheap bbq bargains though I would have thought. I did notice a Weber inspired kettle BBQ in Morrisons the other week that looked it might be decent, £67 though.

3700959.jpg

That one In Morrisons looks ideal too but i dont have a table either. I will keep on looking for second hand ones ;)

2 hours ago, Rob1969 said:

Thanks for your reply mate. I do preferer to buy quality but the cheapest is £90 for the smaller Weber kettle. But maybe second hand is better in this instance ;)

Thanks for your reply i hate cheap quality too but due to my circumstances i dont have funds to go lavish ;) I have searched on gumtree and facebook but the ones i seen are far away or in poor condition with rust. Ill keep on looking ;)

That one In Morrisons looks ideal too but i dont have a table either. I will keep on looking for second hand ones ;)

It's what I did for my Weber, set a search on eBay and got email notifications of anything suitable. Then trawled Marketplace daily and eventually one turned up that was just around the corner from me in great condition, didn't even haggle for it as it was a steal.

The Morrisons one is full size btw not table top.

Edited by tedmus

On 6/7/2021 at 7:15 PM, tedmus said:

It's what I did for my Weber, set a search on eBay and got email notifications of anything suitable. Then trawled Marketplace daily and eventually one turned up that was just around the corner from me in great condition, didn't even haggle for it as it was a steal.

The Morrisons one is full size btw not table top.

Thanks for your reply. I did not see the legs on the Morrisons one but its a shame they dont list the BBQ's on their site. I shall keep an eye on ebay and the classifieds too. ;)

Anyone that has seen me at one of the smoking weekends will know that I use a bargain basement cheapo supermarket kettle type bbq and get some great results from it. I picked mine up second hand for £15 including a load of charcoal. Looking at it I think it was about £25 when it was new (probably be about £40 or so now) so nothing special about it at all. However, it has a vent at the bottom and one at the top and I can get it to temperature nicely and it stays there easily enough for a good few hours. So a super cheap entry to the world of smoking is certainly possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valve90210 said:

Anyone that has seen me at one of the smoking weekends will know that I use a bargain basement cheapo supermarket kettle type bbq and get some great results from it. I picked mine up second hand for £15 including a load of charcoal. Looking at it I think it was about £25 when it was new (probably be about £40 or so now) so nothing special about it at all. However, it has a vent at the bottom and one at the top and I can get it to temperature nicely and it stays there easily enough for a good few hours. So a super cheap entry to the world of smoking is certainly possible. 

Thanks for your reply. Its good to hear you found something good and cheap. I got hooked on the idea of buying a good brand second hand but i did not find a good enough deal. I ended up buying a new Weber compact 47 for £85 delivered so it should be here by Wednesday. Im hoping i will get really into it and so it wont have been a waste of money. ;)

You will  be fine with that, just go for it, techniques is the key, nothing complicated, smoke with minion method  will be good to slowly smoke a joint of meat for instance., indirect salmon on plank to hot smoke salmon, Chicken wings and drumsticks around edge of grill and coals in the middle in a wide can. Lots to try out. good luck and lots of help here if you need it. I have lots of weber books I like, The weber websites has lots of recipes and tips on to to start off with. I did not even mention rotisserie kebabs! B|

Edited by Justin
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Justin said:

You will  be fine with hat, just go for ti, techniques is the key, nothing complicated, smoke with minion method  will be good to slowly smoke a joint of meat for instance., indirect salmon on plank to hot smoke salmon, Chicken wings and drumsticks around edge of grill and coals in the middle in a wide can. Lots to try out. good luck and lots of help here if you need it. I have lots of weber books I like, The weber websites has lots of recipes an tips on to to start off with. I did not even mention rotisserie kebabs! B|

Many thanks for your reply. Reading your post has made my mouth water :)

I will have a look for the Weber books and have a look on their website too. Im looking on youtube a lot and i see different methods to follow which is very helpful. Rotisserie kebabs sound amazing ;) 

thanks