My First Smoker.

Grandadfatboy

Well having decided on the Callow smoker, after reading Wade's review of it, I ordered one from the Garden Gift Shop on this forum. It was supposed to arrive on Tuesday, my wife's birthday, but it arrived late yesterday.

So this morning with my wife's assistance, we managed to get the smoker assembled without any hitches, although where my wife and I both have arthritic hands and fingers, getting some of the screws into place was a bit of a challenge, but in the end a large Birmingham screwdriver came to the rescue. 🔨

I decided to put spring washers under as many of the bolts/screws that would physically take them, including the air vent adjusters, and thank you to Wade for suggesting that as an upgrade. The Callow is now nearly ready for its initial firing, but I need to get some fire tape, or something similar, as the door doesn't seal to the body very well. 

In addition to the Webber briquettes and Booker restaurant grade lumpwood charcoal I already have, I ordered 4kg Coconut Shell Briquettes, 15kg Professional Marabu Charcoal (RCH15) and Woodies Natural Wood Wool Firelighters. I'm sure you guys and gals will have your own preferences, but I've got find what works for me, but any advice welcome. 

I do have a couple of question tho. My thermometer has 6 lines input, but it only has 4 temperature probes (at the moment). My question is, If I'm cooking two different meats how can I ensure that I have a temp probe in each joint of meat, and also a temp probe next to/between the two meats to monitor smoker temperature at grill level?

Here's a couple of pics, including the gap between the body and the door. Thank you for reading.

20210408_135608[1].jpg

20210408_135614[1].jpg

20210408_135635.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grandadfatboy said:

I do have a couple of question tho. My thermometer has 6 lines input, but it only has 4 temperature probes (at the moment). My question is, If I'm cooking two different meats how can I ensure that I have a temp probe in each joint of meat, and also a temp probe next to/between the two meats to monitor smoker temperature at grill level?

Here's a couple of pics, including the gap between the body and the door. Thank you for reading.

Not sure of this question about the thermo's....are you asking about how the cables fit within the smoker?.  For the door, that's a big gap, it'll need some fire seal strip....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LANUCN-Smoker-Sealing-Keeping-Resistant/dp/B07D8V7NSY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bbq+fire+seal+for+door&qid=1617944290&sr=8-5

Check the gap for the thickness you need.

Ice.

Thank you for the link Icefever.

Regarding the thermos, I notice the smoker has 2 thermometer locations, and I was wondering how to get an extra 1 or 2 thermos to monitor several joints and to monitor the smoker temp. Hope I've explained it a little better this time.   

47 minutes ago, Grandadfatboy said:

Thank you for the link Icefever.

Regarding the thermos, I notice the smoker has 2 thermometer locations, and I was wondering how to get an extra 1 or 2 thermos to monitor several joints and to monitor the smoker temp. Hope I've explained it a little better this time.   

just squeeze them in, i often put three probes in one grommet, just push then in one at a time, the flex is a much smaller diameter than the probe 

• Like 2

On the ProQ, my probes are too big to go through the rubber grommet, so I just hang them in there. Ideally, I’d thread the cable through and use the diamond grill clips that come with the probes, but it’s not an option. I often thread the cables through the top vent, but that limits the stack/length range. The other option is to use fire tape under the rim of each stacker/lid and that’ll help seal where each cable goes through. One day, I’ll get a Meater+ and all my probe-lems will be solved.

As for the door, I’d consider taking it off and see if you can flatten it out little a bit with some ‘gentle persuasion’, otherwise the tape might still not be enough.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 3:45 PM, ribgobbler said:

I assembled my callow earlier today and also cured it. Pleased with the quality of it for £89.99

IMG_20210410_131539515.jpg

Hi ribgobbler, I've checked all the packaging again, but it appears they didn't include the rubber grommets for temp probes with mine. Did yours comes with them included?

Thank you for that ribgobbler, that's exactly how mine is too, I was just expecting some sort of heatproof grommet in the middle to prevent heat transfer from the hot metal body to the temp probe. In the end the probe holes were to small to allow my temp probes to pass through, so I popped the probe into the smoker before putting the lid on. 

Going to have another play today, when my neighbours take in their washing in. 

Forgot to say, I removed the door yesterday and tried to gently massage it to make it a better fit. Not really successful, so went with the fire seal tape and this worked a treat. 

Edited by Grandadfatboy
  • Like 1