Whisky ribs

CoCoCabana

Finally got my hands on some more whisky barrel chunks. These taken from a rare Glenfarclas Single Malt with the producer decanting a bottle of " leftover" before setting the saw.

Used a very basic salt and smoked paprika rub as didn't want to over complicate the flavours. 

@100 3:2:1 I felt was going to be a touch too much in the end  was more 2:2:1 and seemed to work a treat.

4 chunks were put on for the 2 and 2 more for the mid stage.

Sauce was a tomato base with smoked paprika , mustard, maple syrup and a touch of Single , sadly not the Glenfarclas.

Flesh was very tender, suckable off the bone , the other rack was devoured by my son.

The chunks knock spots off of other whisky flavoured chips to my mind. Here you can smell the richness of the whisky this barrel once, probably quite recently, nurtured .

I'm looking forward to playing with the wine, cognac, Martinique Rum and a very rare 'not available in Europe' Bourbon Barrel Chunks over the coming weeks.

And by the end of May they are going to be available in the UK.

84BCF0A5-5D19-401D-86CB-1255DA37DE01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2018 at 8:20 PM, CoCoCabana said:

@100 3:2:1 I felt was going to be a touch too much in the end  was more 2:2:1 and seemed to work a treat.

4 chunks were put on for the 2 and 2 more for the mid stage.

Do I understand that you put the second two chunks on during the mid stage there they were foiled (2:2:1)? This would be a waste as the foil will block any effect of the flavoured smoke. It would be better to add then for the final stage instead where the ribs are again unwrapped.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:00 AM, Wade said:

Do I understand that you put the second two chunks on during the mid stage there they were foiled (2:2:1)? This would be a waste as the foil will block any effect of the flavoured smoke. It would be better to add then for the final stage instead where the ribs are again unwrapped.

It's a good point Wade. But if we follow that theory to it's logical conclusion, might we as well put anything that is wrapped on the BBQ just into the oven instead at the same temperature? Once meat is wrapped, are we just purely cooking for temperature? Just openly pondering.

19 hours ago, dl8860 said:

It's a good point Wade. But if we follow that theory to it's logical conclusion, might we as well put anything that is wrapped on the BBQ just into the oven instead at the same temperature? Once meat is wrapped, are we just purely cooking for temperature? Just openly pondering.

You openly ponder correctly and yes we are cooking for temperature. There will be no difference between the oven and a BBQ/smoker once the meat has been foiled. We don't do this though as the BBQ/smoker is already at the required temperature and in another couple of hours you will be unwrapping the meat again anyway for the final unwrapped "hour".

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yup , it’s all a big learning curve and never too old to take on more  knowledge. 

I’m at the Europeans Championships in Sweden  with the German BBQ Wiesel grill team. 

They are looking to add to their World title and you will be pleased  to know they mentioned exactly what you just  said last night whilst doing a Hot n Fast Topside. Smoke  is effective st the beginning only , thereafter it’s about managing internal temperatures to the finish.

These Roast Beef Sarnies were a pre competition treat . 

8C53EB8D-08A2-4394-A9CF-7692F145413A.jpeg

9C707FEF-350D-4D9B-A588-F05C5964884B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

For a full rack of ribs the rule of thumb is 3:2:1 (in hours) but many find that this makes them too fall-off-the-bone. Because of this people adapt the timing to suit their preference, and the temperature at which you cook is also a factor. Some use 2:2:1, others use 3:2:0.5. The best way is to start with 3:2:1 at about 110 C and then adjust the timings next time you cook them. After the 3:2 you will be able to see how tender they have become and can gauge how much of the last hour is needed. 

• Like 1