Potential salami curing cabinet...

My main fridge has unexpectedly given up the ghost and I have been forced to replace it. That has now left me with a stainless steel fridge that will be perfect to convert into a curing cabinet.

20180216_105326.thumb.jpg.1177c811909dd23c3b07ace75004de8a.jpg20180216_105333.thumb.jpg.d6adef970e48170d8f97477971633810.jpg

I will need to add some temperature and humidity control and ventilation but it should do  nicely. I now just need to find the time to actually get around to converting it... Oh yes... and somewhere to put it that is acceptable with SWMBO :hit:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Now you've got me going...I have an old bottle chiller in the shed that's not been used for years. 

Not sure what the  solid top has inside, I think the main works are similar to a fridge.... so it maybe possible to put vents into it....cold smoking could be  on the books.

Ice

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I got around to pulling the old chiller out of the shed this afternoon, took it down near the outhouse plugged her in and wow.  I put a digital thermo in just to see how well she works, it started at 24.1c...within a few mins it was down to 14.5c,  next time I looked (5 mins)  she was sat at 3.3c.

This makes it difficult because she working I don't really want to cut her about. We're now thinking of using her for the storage for the cheese and to use while the bacon is curing.

I have a new shed to place where the old one is....then build a smoke box situated in the new shed with the pipe through the side or roof ???  watch this space.       :thumb1:

Ice.

• Like 1

I'm now pondering that there's a teak cabinet at the back of the old shed, it's was storage for videos as such way back.  It has a glass front that would be better for the actual chamber as thinking about the wood in the old shed has been treated....so not the best wood to use??  roll on this weekend  ?

Having slept on the idea of the teak cabinet,  I had a brain flash this morning while on the M6,  it's either a brain flash or a speed camera   ?

I've got a smegging Brinkman that's built for the job,  why didn't someone tell last night???

Edited by Icefever
  • Haha 2