2018 UK Smokers meet

Wade

Following the last 4 successful UK annual smokers meets in Lincoln we are now looking to start planning for the Smokers meet for 2018. For the past 4 years we have met in Woodhall Spa (near Lincoln) however the feedback from some has been that this is a long way to travel. From my own perspective I would agree as this year it took me over 5 1/2 hours to get there from Kent.

Whilst we are looking to fix a date for 2018 (it is usually the mid to end of July) we are also looking this year to see if there is a more suitable central venue.

Ideally this would be:

• Located somewhere around Birmingham and Northampton area
  • Be a 5 star campsite or equivalent
  • Be willing to allow a BBQ event to take place

We need it to cater for a variety of accommodation. Some members bring caravans or motor homes, others bring tents and others prefer to rent a cabin or Pod. We also need some creature comforts too, like clean toilets, hot showers, plenty of hot water for washing up and power to the pitches.

If you are interested in attending next years meet, or can suggest a suitable venue, then please let us know.

Thanks, Wade

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/08/2017 at 7:09 PM, GrillerzintheMist said:

What about the guys from OOP NORTH, and Scotland?  Birmingham is at least at 5 hours away from me, but it's pretty much in the middle of the country UK wise, I'm not sure how much interest/members you have up past Manchester/Newcastle but every event I see seems to be way down south, way out of my range. 

The last 4 meets have been in Lincoln which has been a 5-7 hour drive for me from Kent. We are currently looking for a new venue that is a good compromise for as many people as possible. Do you have any venue suggestions?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyn Catanach said:

Billing Aerodrome in Northampton hosts lots of events , is a nice location,  might be worth looking at as it's not far off the M1, it has camping and motor home facilities , has a small 'fair ground' for kids, a pub, lakes to boat in and is close to the main shops as well , here's a link

https://www.billingaquadrome.com/#tab-2

that should be Billing Aquadrome

Edited by Martyn Catanach

2 minutes ago, Martyn Catanach said:

Billing Aerodrome in Northampton hosts lots of events , is a nice location,  might be worth looking at as it's not far off the M1

After 2016 Smokers weekend, I went and had a look at Billing. Now it's no where near as good as Woodhall, but it has lots of space and yes they do events.

I talked to the Staff, and could not get a commitment, that we could have our own area, which could be a problem.

That's great news! Been a while since I went to Billing for a Vauxhall based car show but I remember it being a good location. May have to nab myself one of the pods this time around, it seems like a lot less hassle...and a lot less potential for flapping...:D

I may try and drag some of my friends from work along too, see if I can get them into the world of bbq!! :)

11 hours ago, valve90210 said:

That's great news! Been a while since I went to Billing for a Vauxhall based car show but I remember it being a good location. May have to nab myself one of the pods this time around, it seems like a lot less hassle...and a lot less potential for flapping...:D

I may try and drag some of my friends from work along too, see if I can get them into the world of bbq!! :)

:thumb1:

On 04/09/2017 at 10:47 AM, Wade said:

Grendon Lakes look very pleasant but the glamping/pod options are quite limited and expensive. They seem to be really designed for large parties rather than for weekend couples.

Grendon lakes do have 'feilds' and caravan and tent pitches they have a bar as well and the village pub, if you needed to visit is excellent