Neapolitan pizza on kamado

Kentish Man

I did a couple of pizzas at the weekend using my new pizza stone. Didn't take the temp too high (c. 400f), and the pizzas took about 15 mins ish to cook, I possibly had the base too thick, but the results were great.

Today, I tried to go for a more neapolitan style pizza. I cranked the temp up higher (c.650f), went for thin bases and minimal toppings. The top of the pizzas and the toppings were perfect after 90 seconds ish, but the bottom of the pizzas were burnt. I think it was the flour that was burning. I found that I was needing to put a reasonable amount on the pizza peel in order to be able to slide the pizza off on to the stone.

What am I doing wrong? Is it the type of flour I'm using (strong white bread flour)? Or is there a different method for getting the pizza off the peel that solves the issue. Or did I take the temp too high?

Feedback would be gratefully received because but for the burning on the very bottom, the pizzas were absolutely excellent. I can't imagine buying a pizza in the supermarket ever again to be frank.

I stick my pizza on parchment paper now and put it on the stone around 550-600F although the base feels if it has stuck to the paper sometimes before cooking, it always lifts from the paper once cooked with no sticking and less mess on the stone.

I like the Caputo Blue Pizza 00 Flour started using it when flour was scarce a few months back so had to use the 1kg packs which can work out expensive, but you can get it for just over a £1 kg delivered if happy to use a big bag. Good stuff though, if you like making your own bases though.

44 minutes ago, sotv said:

I stick my pizza on parchment paper now and put it on the stone around 550-600F although the base feels if it has stuck to the paper sometimes before cooking, it always lifts from the paper once cooked with no sticking and less mess on the stone.

I like the Caputo Blue Pizza 00 Flour started using it when flour was scarce a few months back so had to use the 1kg packs which can work out expensive, but you can get it for just over a £1 kg delivered if happy to use a big bag. Good stuff though, if you like making your own bases though.

Nice one - thank you.

I presume the parchment paper doesn't stop the base getting a nice brown crisp to it? I had read that the Caputo Blue 00 flour needs to be cooked on a stone at 700 degrees plus, again, I presume that's not your experience? I think their website says that the red flour should be used if cooking at 500 - 700.

I love making my own bases, it's not something I'd done before, but now I've tried it, I can't imagine ever going back. Do you have a special recipe that you use?

Edited by Kentish Man

1 hour ago, Kentish Man said:

Nice one - thank you.

I presume the parchment paper doesn't stop the base getting a nice brown crisp to it? I had read that the Caputo Blue 00 flour needs to be cooked on a stone at 700 degrees plus, again, I presume that's not your experience? I think their website says that the red flour should be used if cooking at 500 - 700.

I love making my own bases, it's not something I'd done before, but now I've tried it, I can't imagine ever going back. Do you have a special recipe that you use?

I set my grill  with stone on it at 600F and make sure that temp has been maintained for at least 15 minutes before putting the pizza/parchment onto the stone

I use this recipe as it easy enough to do by hand or mixer and doesn't have all those multiple steps, that some have and works for me (I use the grams measurements)

The parchment paper I cut a disc or square that is no more than 2 inches bigger around the edge(s) of the pizza, whichever shape I have made the base into.

They paper may singe and go brown, but it doesn't catch fire on the grill/stone and the base has always given me a crispy cooked base.

There are multiple recipes out there for pizza bases, just find some that suit you and give them ago. All part of the fun, till you find one you can settle on.

Got a sourdough starter that I have been feeding for nearly a week and starting to bubble nicely, so hopefully can use it for some homemade bread and pizza bases next week.

Edited by sotv

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 6:36 PM, sotv said:

I set my grill  with stone on it at 600F and make sure that temp has been maintained for at least 15 minutes before putting the pizza/parchment onto the stone

I use this recipe as it easy enough to do by hand or mixer and doesn't have all those multiple steps, that some have and works for me (I use the grams measurements)

The parchment paper I cut a disc or square that is no more than 2 inches bigger around the edge(s) of the pizza, whichever shape I have made the base into.

They paper may singe and go brown, but it doesn't catch fire on the grill/stone and the base has always given me a crispy cooked base.

There are multiple recipes out there for pizza bases, just find some that suit you and give them ago. All part of the fun, till you find one you can settle on.

Got a sourdough starter that I have been feeding for nearly a week and starting to bubble nicely, so hopefully can use it for some homemade bread and pizza bases next week.

Thank you - I've been giving this recipe a go and I've been getting very tasty results. 

Might start experimenting a bit with the sauce once I've got the base mastered, getting the thickness right seems to be the key to me, and I'm not quite there yet everytime.

9 hours ago, Kentish Man said:

Thank you - I've been giving this recipe a go and I've been getting very tasty results. 

Might start experimenting a bit with the sauce once I've got the base mastered, getting the thickness right seems to be the key to me, and I'm not quite there yet everytime.

Glad it's working for you. If you make a decent sauce let me know. I like the Morrisons Pizza Sauce with basil in a jar, and it's easy to use. Would like to try my own one day though.

• 1 year later...