Dipping Gravy

sotv

Not my recipe, but one I use regularly from an excellent BBQ/Smoker book I have Pitt & Cue The Cookbook works really well with slow cooked meats in a bun or over a plate of meat. Bit of prep but a really tasty sloppy gravy to use with pulled pork, brisket, beer can chicken etc

Either dip your bun in the gravy boat or pour it over the meat in the bun

Enough to serve 10 or more

Chicken wings 200g chopped
Chicken skin 200g chopped
Vegetable oil 10ml
4 shallots chopped
1 garlic clove
100g button mushrooms
1 sprig of thyme and 1 bayleaf
10g mixed peppercorns crushed
10g of chipotle paste (Sainsburys do a good one)
100ml of Madeira Wine
100ml White Wine Vinegar
500ml of Beef Gravy
500ml of Chicken Gravy (I use the fresh ready made ones you can get at supermarkets now, as I prefer it to powdered gravy in this recipe, but to keep costs down, powdered gravy will work).

At the end
100g Mustard (I use the Heinz Squeezy Mild Yellow Honey Mustard as English Mustard is too strong for me, depends how you like your mustard)?  You may need to adjust amounts if using a strong English Mustard or the like.
100g Butter

Roast the skin and chicken wings for 30 minutes @ 170C on a baking tray for 30 minutes until golden

Heat the oil and saute the shallots and garlic, add the chicken wings and skin, garlic mushrooms thyme and bayleaf, crushed peppercorns and chipotle paste until caramalised.

Add the Madeira and Vinegar then simmer to reduce by half before adding the Beef and Chicken Gravies, simmer for a further 30 minutes and pass it through a fine sieve.

Mix the butter with mustard and whisk it into the gravy and serve. The gravy can be done the night before and reheated and mustard/butter added once it has been if required.