Powering Fans & Thermometers with Batteries

Skagg2000

Evening,

This summer i'd like to power my Tappeque wifi thermometer & my BBQ Guru DX2 from a battery rather than mains. i have used my Noco GB70  car starter / power pack on occasion which has a 12v 15amp output. It will last most the day, but i want something that will last say 24hrs to give plenty of scope for 16hr smokes.

The tappeque is 5v & the DX2 12v

I was surprised the GB70 didn't last long given it will crack 8 litre engines but i suppose that is about lots of power quickly rather than moderate power for a sustained period.

Can anyone recommend type size of batteries that might meet my requirements of the DX & how to step down for the Tappeque at 5v? I'm thinking 2 x female 12v power sockets fused & attached to the battery terminals with crock clips etc, then stick a USB adaptor in one to step down to 5v

Cheers n Gone Nick

Hi Ice,

I've got a 22000mah Anker one like this which is great for the Tappeque @ 5 Volts but need 12v to power the DX2 with the fan. I'm presuming unless o go for a full on leisure type battery I would need something like a 12v 24ah Yuasa battery. From memory of distant school days that would mean it would provide 12v@ 24amps for one hour, 12v @ 12amps for two hour etc & so on. I would therefore need to identify the load from the fan & controller per hour & then work it back to understand whats required to run for 24 hours.

I know it's not really a subject for here, but someone may have attempted a similar project or indeed it might end up a useful reference for the future.

Cheers n Gone Nick

I don't pretend to understand anything about electrics, but saw this video on the Masterbuilt and he was using a  portable rechargable powerpack with a 12v/5v stepdown. Remembered your question, but not sure if it is what you were looking for though?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I bit the bullet & bought a Beaudens Power Station. Initial impression is the build quality is good. It has enough outputs both 12v & USB along with a small 240v 3 pin power inverter. I have yet try the unit in anger with the Tappeque & Digi DX2 but hop it will give a good 24hr run if need be.

IMG_20200319_202521.thumb.jpg.f759bf1a9ddadce519b2259b20ae999b.jpg

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 3

So as an update, i'm impressed. It's certainly not he cheapest power station around but well built & seems to go on producing power for ever.

I've had the BBQ Guru Digiq DX2 running deliberately set so the fan ran continuously using both the food & pit probes. I also had the Tappecue logged into the Wifi & sending data for 2 probes to the cloud.

The simulated session ran for 24 hours from start to finish in one hit. It consumed two bars from five on the 166wH power bank

,IMG_20200321_211309.thumb.jpg.230500370bdf8f560c5f260187ede6dc.jpg

Graph.thumb.JPG.750e6c5231e6669fe30a8a73a882ffab.JPG

I can see this will cope with powering other devices during a day / beach cook whilst running the DX2 & Tappecue, items such as a bluetooth speaker & smartphone etc.

Roll on the summer!

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 2

So today is my first cook with the Beaudens power station. I also decided not to buy the BBQ Guru mount at over 36 quid delivered. I bought to smartphone / tablet clamps for less than a tenner the pair. I'm pleased with the outcome as it lifts everything off the floor & makes it more manageable.

IMG_20200328_150756.thumb.jpg.26de05fce2f603bbe7afe372b6d4d29c.jpg

IMG_20200328_151841.thumb.jpg.42010a12a9e42cbdd98a65b548e40ad9.jpg

Cheers n Gone Nick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...