Cold-smoked salmon query

sub333

Hello,

I bought a nice-looking side of salmon earlier today which I'm going to cure and then smoke with apple/oak dust.

It's just over 1kg in weight, but it is rather long, and I think it may be too long when I hang it from the lid of my ProQ smoker.

Apologies if this is a daft question, but would it matter if I cut it in half and hung both pieces from the lid?

Or is there any benefit to keeping it whole?

Also, in Tim Hayward's excellent book Food DIY, he recommends a 24-hour smoke (so, setting the ProQ Cold Smoke Generator up and letting it run through twice).

That seems a lot longer than other smoking times I've seen (usually 10-12hrs) - any thoughts?

Thanks very much!

Nice.  Re time I do 14 - 16 hours but it is a question of how strong you want the smoke flavour.  You do need to try and keep temp up at 20 21 degrees as that will let  it smoke better, you do not want smoke condensing at cooler temperature and it help to dry the salmon out further and leave the oils behind for a nice juicy taste.

A gentle stream of smoke for a pro q maze or some such is best, not gushing smoke like a  pellet tube, wood dusty, you do not want too much heat after all....

Re  cutting in  half, might make it harder to get nice big slices more but other than that makes no difference is my advice. Use a long salmon knife to cut it makes life a lot easier

@Wade is the expert.

• Thanks 1

I think maybe cut the tail end  just enough to fit smoke and then keep the thicker end of the fillet a s long as possible, as that is the best bit with big thin slices. Either way it will  taste Delicious , Go for it. I sue Maple dust because we like the soft sweet smoke taste on the smoked salmon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Justin said:

Nice.  Re time I do 14 - 16 hours but it is a question of how strong you want the smoke flavour.  You do need to try and keep temp up at 20 21 degrees as that will let  it smoke better, you do not want smoke condensing at cooler temperature and it help to dry the salmon out further and leave the oils behind for a nice juicy taste.

A gentle stream of smoke for a pro q maze or some such is best, not gushing smoke like a  pellet tube, wood dusty, you do not want too much heat after all....

Re  cutting in  half, might make it harder to get nice big slices more but other than that makes no difference is my advice. Use a long salmon knife to cut it makes life a lot easier

@Wade is the expert.

Yes, will be using the smoke generator. Interesting re temp - 20-21 degrees? 

Did the smoking over the weekend. 

I gave the smaller piece a 9-hour smoke, and 18 hours for the bigger piece.

Both are now wrapped in clingfilm and are in the fridge. Do I need to leave them for a day or two (or longer?) for the smoke to mellow a little?

Am keen to vac-pack some as well, so would be handy to know next steps from here. 

On 11/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, sub333 said:

Yes, will be using the smoke generator. Interesting re temp - 20-21 degrees? 

The main preservation method for salmon is dehydration and so a good "warm" air flow over the sides is important to reduce the water content at quickly as possible.

The initial salt cure has two effects

• It inhibits any surface bacteria that would usually cause rapid spilage
  • It begins the dehydration process - you will see just how much water is actually removed at this stage

The air flow completes this process. As the water is removed you get left with the salmon oils and the flesh becomes shiny and translucent. You are looking for a total weight loss of about 18%

Some think that the preservation is done by the smoke. This is a common myth that I have had confirmed by microbilogy experts from the food testing labs. The smoke tars may have a mild antimicrobial effect but this is negligable. These days we use the smoke primarily for flavour. If you wanted to use it for preservation you would need to add so much smoke tar that it would become unpaletable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The winter is a very good time to smoke as it is easier to be in control of the smoke chamber temperatures. The most challenging is often the summer (especially the past couple of years) when the outside temperature has actually been too hot to smoke certain things.

For winter smoking you simply need a source of heat and a temperature controller. These are quite inexpensive.

The Inkbird ITC-308 is a very cost-effective thermostatic controller  that enables the control of both heating and cooling. They are readily available for under £30 on Amazon and if you message @Inkbird they may be able to suggest the best place to buy and even give you a discount code. There is also a WiFi enabled version that allows you to monitor and control it from your phone. I have recently installed the WiFi version to control my commercial cold smoker.

Inkbird ITC-308 Thermostat Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Switch  for Home Brew Greenhouse Heater Tube Heater Heat Mat Reptile Vivarium:  Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

The next thing you will need is a ceramic bulb heat lamp and holder

Heat lamp holder - £13 https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/9038031192?iid=401523948101

aquapet Reptile Vivarium Ceramic Bulb Lamp Heater Holder ES (E27 1" 25mm):  Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Heat lamp bulb - £8 https://www.finest-filters.co.uk/100w-ceramic-heat-lamp-bulb-for-reptile-vivarium-heating-es-fitting/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtqL-BRC0ARIsAF4K3WHY8C2G0hn75Dc3EnphrTzusMY6P2fkfYxHC9XE0zBtywRpLvm_6kkaAoupEALw_wcB

image.jpeg.6450e27fec469405f469ca2adc957bb8.jpeg

Once you have these you will be able to cold smoke reliably in your WSM all year round.

The ITC- 308 controller has a temperature probe that will poke into either the thermometer hole in the side of the  WSM or in through the top air vent. This controls a power block with 2 x UK plug sockets - one for heating and the other for cooling.

Place the ceramic heater in the bottom of the WSM - make sure that it isn't directly underneath the smoke generator because of falling ash. The power cable is thin and can be fed in around the edge of the side door. Even in the coldest of UK winters, if you set the thermostat to 20 C it will keep the smoke chamber at ~20 C. Set it at 10 C and that is what you will get. It is worth insulating the WSM with a blanket though in very cold temperatures as this will help to maintain a steadier internal temperature.

Great for the winter, but what about the summer?

The cooling side does not need to power a fridge - you can simply use it to power a big fan. Make sure the smoker is in the shade - away from direct sunshine - and place the fan so that it blows air around the outside of the smoking chamber for cooling. Take care that it does not blow air into the bottom vents as this will have the opposite effect as your smoke generator, rather than smoldering, bursts into flames.

I use the same temperature control in my large smoker however I have a pair of heaters which I have mounted in a bent aluminium frame. You do not need to do this though as you can easily make a bent wire holder to stop the bulb from resting against the side of the smoker.

1162240746_CeramicHeater1.thumb.jpeg.b4b77f7c8324f3e3a8a4a1ba33bc1068.jpeg

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The above I would turn into smoked salmon fillets and smoke for 8 hours - you may want to cut the larger fillets in two but keep the tail fillets whole. When you come to eat them cook them in the oven on a baking tray for 12 minutes at 180 C. This is the way we prefer to eat our salmon at home.

If you want to turn them into traditional smoked salmon then smoke for about 18-20 hours for that size of fillet.

Don't think that the smoked fillets are in any way inferior to the traditional smoked salmon - we make and eat a lot if salmon and the fillets are by far our favourite.

• Like 1