Salt levels in cold smoked trout

steveinhants

Hello. I've been preparing and cold-smoking fillets of trout for myself for a few months now. Lately, a few of my friends and lots of my family have asked me to them some. I thought that I'd do some research before agreeing and I've come across lots of info including the FSA guidlines. I'm completley puzzled as to how I can measure the salt content to ensure I'm achieving a 3.5% salt content in my fillets. I don't use a wet brine, I always use dry ingredients of salt and sugar. From what I understand, this level of salt, along with correct temperatures during a workflow, prohibits the growth of Clostridium Botulinium. I'd be very keen to understand how this can be measured. 

I think I may have mis-read one of the documents. After re-reading, it would seem that as long as the cold smoked trout is consumed within 10 days and is stored at 3 - 8 degrees it is good to go. This would make sense as to why I have been seeing companies sell it with a 10 day shelf life. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm back to square one here. I've since spoken to the Chilled Food Assocation who have confirmed that 3.5% salt is needed in both dry brine and wet brine (plus all other safety measures) if using a vac pack. Think I'm going round in circles!