Cold Smoking Temperature

MalcolmG

Need a little advice please folks.

I have just cold smoked some bacon in my bbq using my A-MAZE-N pellet smoker for 12 hours. Pic attached.

It was cured for 10 days in the fridge using my Woodchurch dry cure bacon pepper seasoning kit and instructions which is fantastic.

However I noticed the temperature in the BBQ crept up to around 45  degrees F during the process.

Would this still be safe to eat as it is recommended that when cold smoking the temp should be below 100 degrees F.

I should have monitored it more closely !!

Thanks

BBQ Smoker.JPG

• Like 1

Provided it looks and smells OK it will still be safe to eat - as the salt and cure will have killed off surface bacteria and the smoke will have inhibited any growth during the smoking. You may find though that the higher temperature has had a detrimental effect on the meat structure which may make is less palatable - but that will be a personal choice. I would suggest that you avoid eating too much at one sitting and avoid giving it to young, old or unhealthy people who may have a impared immune functions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/24/2019 at 12:18 PM, Justin said:

How did you slice it mate?

Sorry Justin - just saw your message. I haven't  been on the forum for a while. I use a large, very sharp carving knife. After smoking I leave the bacon 

in the fridge for 48 hours before slicing so it pretty firm. Hope that helps.

• Like 2