Competition format

Rum'n'ribs

Wasn't sure which section to put it in so hopefully this is the right one if not can admins please move. 

As some of you may have seen from my initial intro post I have something in the works for a Portsmouth event. I'm wanting to have a competition as well but wanted to ask what would teams prefer or what is the norm. Bring your own meat or meat supplied on the day. I know both have pros and cons for things like a level playing field and so on but thought I'd ask the people who know. If someone has set something like this in the past I would be for ever grateful if I could pick your brain. 

Thanks 😊

• Like 1

It is always good to see new competitions starting up as we have lost a couple recently. What kind of competition were you looking to hold? One for the enthusiastic amateur to enter alone or one aimed at the BBQ teams? Also were you looking to hold it as a KCBS or IBQN registered event?

Most of the larger competitions give the teams a choice regarding meat. Many will want to provide their own but others are happy to have it provided for them.

If you are looking at something like a Steak Cookoff Association competition then you would need to provide the meat.

@Wade I think I'd like it to be a KCBS event for teams I feel it would Carrie more weight and maybe have more teams enter. We want to do best brisket and best ribs. Then if the numbers are good an amateur one as well.

I'm guessing meat supp would be something dealt with at registration? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You would need to offer cash  (as well as trophies) to attract some of the best known teams. And you would need to choose your weekend carefully so that id did not clash with another European BBQ competition - see the KCBS web site for 2020 competition dates. Many teams book up a year in advance.

It is certainly do-able, but you have a better chance of success if it does not clash with an existing, already established, event.