Argh - can't lower temperature on my gas bbq

Guitarbloke

I'm trying to cook up some ribs today but I can't stabilise the temp on my broil king gas bbq.

I've only lit one of the three burners and it's on the lowest possible heat setting,  but once the lid is down it just keeps climbing. 

Trying to keep it at 250f but currently it's at 350f and still climbing. 

Am I missing something silly?  Do I just need to keep turning off the grill and opening the lid to bring it back down whilst cooking? 

Could be a number of things? 

How are you measuring the temp, is it the lid thermometer, or do you have a grill level digital one?

Have you tried adding a water pan to act like a heat sink? You can then keep adding cold water periodically to keep the temp down

Have you tried using one of the other burners on low to see if any is them burn lower?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markie_q said:

Could be a number of things? 

How are you measuring the temp, is it the lid thermometer, or do you have a grill level digital one?

Have you tried adding a water pan to act like a heat sink? You can then keep adding cold water periodically to keep the temp down

Have you tried using one of the other burners on low to see if any is them burn lower?

Hmm yep it seems to be just that burner running hot for some reason! 

The others are fine and the ribs have been on for a couple of hours now - thanks for the suggestion (can't believe I didn't try that...) 🙈

• Like 1