Which rub/sauce to buy?

Hello,

I've been looking to buy a few rubs and sauces, but it's very difficult to know where to start.

Almost all the ones I've seen claim to have won countless awards/trophies, but there's very little to go on. And most of them seem to say "Great with beef/pork/chicken/fish" which isn't very helpful!

The ones I've already bought are:

• Bad Byron's Butt Rub
  • Sauce Shop South Carolina BBQ Sauce
  • Butcher BBQ Liquid Brisket Injection 

The rub and the sauce are great. The sauce, in particular, has a nice piquant vinegar thing going on. I'm not a huge fan of overly sweet sauces – I prefer some heat (not loads) and something sharp and piquant (I always have chimichurri on steak, for example, not blue-cheese or creamy sauces).

Are there any others people would recommend?
I was on bbq gourmet and they have dozens of options, so would be great to narrow this down.

All advice welcomed!

• Like 1

Very good point, thank you! 
I didn't realise they were as straightforward as that – I'd always assumed that rubs had a few secret ingredients that would be hard to replicate at home.

Very useful video – thanks for sharing 🙂

No problem Sub  m0121.gif

There are many more on the tube,  tell you what we did once we bought a tube of "magic dust" just to see what it was like. It turned out ok, I liked it, then read the list of what's in there and make your own.

Ice.

• Like 1

Yes, he's the guv'nor!

I know he's a firm believer in simple rubs – I saw a brisket video of his where he just uses salt and A LOT of black pepper.

Seems such a cool guy. Doesn't take himself seriously and clearly knows way more than his easy-going persona lets on 😎

• Like 1